tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Weeding it out"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:41 pm 

Hello All,

I'm one of those forum members that have been sorting my collection and have found it time to let a few things go. Over the next few months I will be offering some of my collection of Indonesian, Minority Chinese, Vietnamese, Lao, Tai, Latin American textiles. To start, I have a mid 20th century Sumba Hinggi, with all the bells and whistles, Horses, lions, bees and criters of all types. I also have a nice contemporary large Torajan ikat. Please let me know if you are interested and I will make some pictures available and provide a detailed description. Best to all, Richard

Post subject: Re: "Weeding it out"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:50 pm 

Richard,

I would be interested in seeing what you have to offer. How can that be done? My interest is Indonesian in the broad meaning but specifically in materials from Borneo.

Don't know how this is done but I invite anyone who has good materials from Borneo to let me know. I am particularly interested in textiles from the little known Ibanic people, Mualang and "Ketungau" - a catchall name for the peoples along the Ketungau river in Kalimantan. I have attached a picture of a Mualang pua ("blanket") as an example.

thanks to all,

-John

richard mook wrote:
Hello All,

I'm one of those forum members that have been sorting my collection and have found it time to let a few things go. Over the next few months I will be offering some of my collection of Indonesian, Minority Chinese, Vietnamese, Lao, Tai, Latin American textiles. To start, I have a mid 20th century Sumba Hinggi, with all the bells and whistles, Horses, lions, bees and criters of all types. I also have a nice contemporary large Torajan ikat. Please let me know if you are interested and I will make some pictures available and provide a detailed description. Best to all, Richard

Attachments:
File comment: Mualang pua. Circa 1900. 66" x40". 152 warp threads/inch. Mulang have not made such pieces in a very long time.
mualang pua 2.jpg
mualang pua 2.jpg [ 75.83 KiB | Viewed 4733 times ]

Post subject: Sumba Hinggi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:00 pm 

Attached is a picture of the Hinggi that I have available. The size is approximately 240 cm x 115 cm not counting the fringe. It is hand loomed, two panel construction, commercial cotton with natural and alkaline dyes. This was collected in the 1960’s by an Austrian collector. I can make additional pictures available if interested. My price on this is negotiable and considerably less than what is typical for a textile of this quality.

Attachments:
Hinggi.jpg
Hinggi.jpg [ 45.98 KiB | Viewed 4725 times ]