tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: bark cloth
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Forum member Mark Johnson is too well mannered to post information on the forum on a fascinating new gallery which is on his website where he has a collection of barkcloth garments from Sulawesi - see http://www.markajohnson.com/asiasale_ne ... _bark.html

I know that many formum members are interested in bast fabrics and will find the gallery worth review. As the gallery is a 'selling' gallery I thought I ought to post on the Tribal textile shopping forum rather than under the forums directed at information and discussion. (I have not asked Mark for a price sheet of the items but my guess is that these are very much for serious collectors and would be quite major investments due to the quality, scarcity and fragile nature of the bark cloth.)

Given that there seems to be a death of accessible museum collections on some of the traditional textiles in which forum members are interested, I believe that we are very fortunate in finding photos and information which we can use as reference points on the websites of those who make their living by trading in such textiles. I am always keen to encourage these 'traders' to retain this information on their sites even when the items are dispersed into collections since they provide such a rich resource for all of us.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say a word of thanks to such forum members - and the names Mark Johnson and Susan Stem spring to mind - who generously share and contribute their knowledge to this forum is such a restrained and supportive way.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource