tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Indigo art gallery
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:18 pm 

Dear friends,
My textile virus led me this week to a small picturesque city in Belgium, called Damme. The road to Damme led me through a beautiful part of the Belgian countryside, the last kilometres along a canal. On both sides of the road high trees formed a kind of tunnel. I was tempted to stop and take some pictures but my virus prevented me from doing this.

Indigo art gallery was established in a characteristic house in front of the city hall. Already for 15 years Indigo is a happening in colour concerning the concept Indigo. The gallery has got a beautiful atmosphere and the owners Hilde and Luc are the most heart warming people you can imagine. Almost two years ago Hilde and her partner Luc packed their things to make a trip from Laos to China (Yunnan and Guizhou). The stay in Laos was shortened because of the festivals they wanted to attend in Yunnan and Guizhou. During nine weeks they travelled through this interesting part of the world, trying to find beautiful textile pieces and jewellery to compose a new exhibition “Minorities from South China” in their gallery (8th of May until 30th of June 2004). Hilde introduced me into the exhibition. As usual my eyes were first looking for items related to children. Hilde showed me some baby hats (€110/€125) and a baby carrier (about €400) and a collar. One small baby hat is now sharing some space with my other hats on my Chinese cabinet (see picture). One of the eye catchers was a red coat of a Taoist shaman, cotton and silk, with immortals grouped round a mythological animal - Yao (€900). Hilde told me that she loved a piece of embroidery in beautiful colours made by the older sister for the younger sister - a bride, to put above the bed. There were several Miao and Yao jackets and what I liked very much is that there were several complete costumes. I enjoyed looking at the embroidery on the pieces which was so fine and skilful. I am sorry that I cannot give any more information about the pieces. But I talked with Hilde and Luc about the Tribal textile website and they were very interested to join in, so then for sure they can share more with us. But if you are in Belgium, go and visit Damme (near Brugge) and of course Indigo is a good and interesting place to be: Galerie Indigo, Hilde Kuypers and Luc Van Maele, Kerkstraat 15, 8340 Damme, info@indigoartgallery.be, www.indigoartgallery.be

Kindest regards Monique

Attachments:
Miao_baby_hat.jpg
Miao_baby_hat.jpg [ 58.97 KiB | Viewed 2898 times ]