It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

This afternoon I received the email below from Hannah Cowie of TAMAY AND ME

Quote:
14th September 2010

Dear textile friends,

My mentor Joss Graham, ‘The Joss Graham Gallery’ London, has given me your contact details as tragically all of my textiles have been stolen in the South of France.

I sell Red Dzao (Mien, Yao) textiles in Europe on behalf of the Dzao women in North Vietnam. This is a new collaborative project with my Dzao embroidery teacher (Ta May) which makes the situation even more sad. We work together to raise awareness of the Dzao women's fine skills and to provide them with a regular income to help them to continue their traditional high quality of embroidery.

Last weekend, 11/09/2010, I had a very large black suitcase stolen from a van in Laroque village, Herault, Languedoc- Roussillon. Inside was 20 pairs of trousers, 5 pairs of children’s trousers, 8 women’s coats with highly embroidered tail panels, 20 men’s jackets, 30 embroidered bags of various qualities, 7 fine embroidered coat panels, 5 small panel pieces, 5 long narrow panel turban pieces, 3 scarves/head wraps, 2 baby blankets, 1 baby hat, 3 neck pieces and 1 pair of very old Shaman’s leg wraps (blue embroidery on white cloth).

Nothing is insured.

Almost all the pieces come from Taphin Village, close to Sapa, North Vietnam and are clearly identifiable with the specific, dense, silk hand embroidery on hand dyed, indigo cotton. They all had black labels with prices and the logo and website on them when stolen so I am hoping that they may end up back on the textile dealing circuit.

I send out a plea to keep your eyes open for Dzao textiles, particularly in France, and to contact me if you see anything you think could be this stock. And if you have any other suggestions as to how to find stolen textiles or any other advice I would be delighted to hear from you.

Do visit my website to see the pieces and the project, www.tamayandme.com

Many thanks and any help would be very much appreciated,

Hannah

TAMAY AND ME
Hannah Cowie

Please can we all keep our eyes open for these Red Dzao textiles and get in touch with Hannah via the contact details on her website as appropriate.

I am also going to post some info on the '....Websites' section of the forum as I found a very nice video on Hannah's website which I think forum members may enjoy.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource