tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Although this is not minority textiles I though that forum members might be interested in the information on this upcoming sale at Christie's New York:

Quote:
News 2008:

To celebrate her company's thirtieth anniversary, Linda Wrigglesworth has decided to sell her collection of Chinese costume and textiles at Christie's New York on the 19th of March. This sale, the first of its kind in the United States, comprises over 150 lots of costume, textile and accessories, and will include pieces she purchased before starting her business. Set to coincide with Asian Art Week. The sale will include Imperial robes, court costume and informal wear, purses, hats, shoes, badges of rank, and hangings.

Auction: The Imperial Wardrobe - Fine Chinese Costume and Textiles from The Linda Wrigglesworth Collection,

19 March 10am, Christies New York, NY, www.christies.com
or Contact Miss Tina Zonars at (+1) 212 636 2180 for details and images

‘My charter began in 1978 when I made a wish to protect Chinese textiles from being cut up and made into cushions! This wish has been achieved by the awareness of these beautiful regal costume and textiles now being recognised as true works of art by many collectors world wide. These very wonderful textiles will continue to be treasured now and my mission re my charter is now complete. The New York Times have recently called the sale the last Hurrah for Chinese textiles! ’ LW http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/arts/ ... l?ref=arts

Prior to the sale on March 15, Christie's will also be hosting an all-day symposium titled 'You Are What You Wear - Style, Society and Ethnicity in Qing China'. This symposium will focus on the dress in Qing dynasty China, and examine the meaning and cultural significance of dress and fashion in late Imperial China. If you are interested in attending this exciting event, please contact Miss Chin Yan Wong at Christie's at (+1) 212 636 2180.

Future:

Although selling her collection, Linda will still be available for Chinese textile consultancy in the future by e-mail, contact info@lindawrigglesworth.com , or through her website, www.lindawrigglesworth.com

‘My continuation as a consultant to the Chinese textile world will mean I can share knowledge and assist collectors to buy, sell, appraise value and acquire. Also to de-accession or sell collectors pieces when the need arises. So do keep an eye on my website for future opportunities.’ LW

Linda Wrigglesworth Ltd
By appointment only
Mailing address: Suite 362
19-21 Crawford Street
London W1H 1PJ
England

Tel: +44 (0)20 7486 8990
Fax: +44 (0)20 7935 1511
info@lindawrigglesworth.com
www.lindawrigglesworth.com
Company No 3049728
VAT Reg No 668 175 008

There is a link to a New York Times article in the quote which I would commend to forum members http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/arts/ ... ref=slogin It is an interesting thought that perhaps the market in Chinese minority costume might develop as that of the Qing costume. Certainly I think that many of us feel that fine examples need to be preserved for posterity much as Linda Wigglesworth felt about the Qing costumes.

Just as an irrelevant aside, in late 1990 I had returned from my first visit to China - a journey down the silk route - only to lose my job in finance in the City of London (yes, there were traumas in international finance then as now). I discovered a poster advertising an exhibition of Miao costume in the collection of Eric Boudot which was being held in Linda Wigglesworths then new gallery in Brook Street in London. I think that this was Linda's only flirtation with Chinese minority costume. I visited the exhibition, bought a Shidong jacket over dyed with indigo and had a wonderful time enjoying the costume. I ended up doing a little part-time administrative work for Linda over the three months in which I was 'between jobs.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:07 am 

Thanks for letting us know about this sale. I won't be buying anything (Linda Wrigglesworth has always had gorgeous, but terribly expensive stuff). The catalouge will probably be worth getting. I had the impression the last time I went to one of her exhibitons and the fact that she's said in interviews that she never displayed her textiles in her house indicated she was "over" what she was selling. Its a shame she has to be one of the world authorities on Quing textiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin

I think Linda's expertise will still be available as she says that she will continue as a consultant. I agree with your comments about the prices of her textiles and also that the catalogue could be worthwhile. Do you have copies of the couple of books she was involved with together with Garry Dickinson? The NYT refers to:
Quote:
“Imperial Wardrobe,” a 1990 book (reprinted in 2000 by Ten Speed Press) that Ms. Wrigglesworth wrote with Gary Dickinson, a fellow at the Royal Asiatic Society and recognized scholar of Chinese textiles.
I also have "'The Accessory' China" and "'The Badge of Rank' China" and I am pretty sure I have something on Korean textiles hiding on my bookshelves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm 

Yes, I read that she'd be a consultant, and she knows her stuff. She probably lost some of the passion for the textiles that she had in her youth. It can happen when you are too intensive on a subject for too many years, even if when you fall in love with it in the beginning you think you'll never run out of interest.

I have her book on imperial robes and the 'the accessory'. I never picked up the rank badges one, they've never really appealed to me as a topic as such. I'm primarily a fan collector, though I also have a collection of south-east asian textiles, mostly from Laos in this case.

I always tried to see Linda's exhibitions when she was in Sydney when I knew they were on. It was like going to a musuem when you could sometimes touch stuff and get nice and close for a look. It was a way to learn even if I couldn't afford to buy the goodies I was looking at....though I knew some people who did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Forum members might be interested in the review of the sale which appears in the Spring edition of Hali Magazine http://www.hali.com/News.aspx?Action=-6 ... f13eadbc3a