tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:04 pm 

Have just returned from Taipei where the National Museum of History has an exhibition on local Taiwanese embroidery: The Beauty of Traditional Taiwanese Embroidery, curated by Pauline Kao. There is a bilingual (Chinese and English) book accompanying the exhibition with the same title. Details as follows:
Publisher: Huang Yung-Chun
Editor: Jeff Ge
Publication date: October, 2006
ISBN-10: 986-00-69972
ISBN-13: 978-00-6997-2

The book includes essays on the following topics:
General Overview of Taiwanese embroidery (Lin Shu-Hsin)
Taiwanese Costume: The Taiwanese Literati Perspective (Zhan, Bi-Hua)
From the end of the 19th to the Early 20th Century: The style and characteristics of Taiwanese Emroidery (Kao, Pen-Li)
Miaoli Kanhua: Classical Hakka Embroidery (Chen, Sheng-Tseng)
Aesthetic locus of Taiwanese Traditional Embroidery (Huang, Chun-Hsiu)
Then there are 107 plates which, in the main, are well reproduced.

The book covers more than the pieces exhibited - drawing upon the Museums and other collections here in Taiwan. Of particular interest are the womens detachable collars and camisoles - particularly as I had part of one and was uncertain of its purpose. :D The drama costumes - so integral to traditional Taiwanese life are also fascinating

Another great book published by the National Museum of History, Taiwan at the time of an exhibtion of Miao textiles from the Fu Jen University Collection in Taipei (directed by Maryta Laumann S. Sp. S.), is entitled Costumes of the Miao from South East Guizhou. It gets a little confusing intially as there are a number of books there with similar titles. Never fear the ISBN to assist you is: 957-02-4908-0.
An incredible book illustrated with over 110 full plates with fantastic information on each piece. Perhaps the only draw back for some may be that the detailed collection information is available only in Chinese. However, it is not too difficult to get to grips with this using a variety of the maps found inside and access to a basic Hmong dictionary.

A third book also published by the National Museum of History, Taiwan:
Aboriginal Arts in Taiwan: The Collection of Chen Cheng-Ching (1997). ISBN: 957-00-8423-5.
Words fail me at the beauty of this publication - I almost weep! Covering all the aboriginal tribes officially recognised in Taiwan at the time (at the beginning of 2007 a further tribe was recognised). The information accompanying the folio plates (168+) is both in Chinese and English. The extent of the collection is phenomenal and of great interest to be able to compare. As with all exhibition books obtaining them so long post-exhibition is a rarity. This one was literally dug out of the dust on a back shelf! I have seen another copy here in Taipei for those who may be interested.

Finally a fourth book: The Folk clothing in Early Taiwan 1796-1932.
This book was published in conjunction with an exhibition held in Taipei, 1995.
(If I recall correctly this exhibition travelled to the USA in 1996/1997?). The book covers about a third of the museums collection of silk clothing. There are some 186 plates exquisite in detail with information in detailed Chinese and basic English.
Items are separated into the following categories:
Children's hats (30)
Coats (60)
Vests (9)
Camisoles (19)
Skirt and Trousers (27)
Shoes (15)
Woman's Collars (8)
Girdles (6)
Accessories (10)
Again, this book was located in the storeroom and there are a few copies still there. If any one is interested drop me a line!
OK, all for now.
Regards Iain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Iain

Mouthwatering information. I am emailing you separately!

I see that there is some info on the exhibit (2nd exhibition listed) related to the first book at http://www.nmh.gov.tw/nmh_web/english_v ... on_001.cfm There does not seem to be anything on a museum shop.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Books in Taiwan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:29 am 

Greetings Pamela
There are several copies of the book accompanying the exhibition: The Beauty of Traditional Taiwanese Embroidery in the Museum shop which unfortunately does not have a link on the Museum website. I am not certain as to why this is but perhaps it relates to the shop running independently of the Museum? There does not appear to be a link on the Chinese website either - go figure. This does mean that you need to be a little "hands on" in searching for books as illustated in my first post :) Apologies for posting in the wrong forum :oops:
Further to uploading photos: Would it be possible to upload a link to my images on the web? This will save a great deal of time and quality. If OK with you I'll send the details.
Looking through Steven's posts (Oct 17 2005) and related links http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... highlight= I see that I have two variations on the baby carrier posted! It was great to read Susan's comments attributing origin. Many thanks!
Iain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Iain - see my comments in bold below - Pamela

Quote:
There are several copies of the book accompanying the exhibition: The Beauty of Traditional Taiwanese Embroidery in the Museum shop which unfortunately does not have a link on the Museum website. I am not certain as to why this is but perhaps it relates to the shop running independently of the Museum? There does not appear to be a link on the Chinese website either - go figure. This does mean that you need to be a little "hands on" in searching for books as illustated in my first post Apologies for posting in the wrong forum
Further to uploading photos: Would it be possible to upload a link to my images on the web? This will save a great deal of time and quality. If OK with you I'll send the details.

Yes, it would be fine to post a link to your images on the web. If it is OK with you I will then download, edit and post with your relevant posts. It is easier for people to then see, refer to and comment on the images. I am keen to build a good resource for us all in the future on the forum and images can disappear from links.

Looking through Steven's posts (Oct 17 2005) and related links I see that I have two variations on the baby carrier posted! It was great to read Susan's comments attributing origin. Many thanks!

I have put the link to the relevant thread into your post. That is exactly the aim of the forum - fantastic to hear that it is happening. I love this style of baby carrier. Perhaps we can link - provide - photos of your examples on this thread?

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:16 pm 

Hi

Iain,

I desperately would like these books. Can you tell me how to proceed?

Much thanks,
Randall

Post subject: Further book details
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:45 am 

Greetings Randall
As promised contact details:
Firstly the website for the National Museum of History
http://www.nmh.com.tw
This website is, to put it politely, really of no use when ordering older, out of print books - a problem exacerbated by the English website links for NMH publications NOT working.
Tel: international code for Taiwan followed by 2-23891016
Fax: international code for Taiwan followed by 2-23315465

The telephone and fax # for the Museum Shop is:
the international code for Taiwan followed by 2-23705883
The very useful e-mail address - which enables your enquiries to be handled in English is: info@nmh.com.tw

Available copies as of today 2007, April 4th:
1 copy of "Aboriginal Arts in Taiwan." ISBN: 957-00-8423-5..
6 copies of "The Beauty of Traditional Taiwanese Embroidery." ISBN: 978-00-6997-2
3 copies of "Costumes of the Miao from South East Guizhou." ISBN: 957-02-4908-0.
1 copy of "The Folk clothing in Early Taiwan 1796-1932." ISBN: 957-00-6433-1
Hope this helps and that you obtain the books you desire!
Regards
Iain