tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:27 pm 

I have recently tracked down 3 books on minority costumes and textiles which may be of interest to the forum. 2 are in Chinese only, but are highly illustrated the English translations are given below:

"Art of Guangxi minorities customs: colorful costumes"
which I obtained from Paragon book Gallery consists of 2 vols, the first is illus with very high quality colour photographs of the beautiful and unusual costumes worn by the Miao,Yi, Dong and Yao nationalities. All the photos are of people wearing these wonderful costumes. The second vol consists mainly of photographs of the textiles themselves showing details of patterns and colours wiith some photos of their production. (these vols are in Chinese only and will probably never come out in English but are a fantastic photo resource)

"Taiwan's Aboriginal Peoples" Taipei 2002, 198 pages
This vol is in dual English and Chinese and is a colouful photographic account of the tribal minorities of Taiwan. (the photos are high quality) It covers such peoples as the Atayal, Saisiat, Bunun, Thao, Tsou, Rukai , Amis, Puyuma, Paiwan and Tao (Yami) and shows the ceremonial dress and textiles of each group together with photos of ceremonies which involve ceremonial swings and sacred fires among others. I obtained this vol from Hanshan Tang

"Headwear and ornaments of Chinese Minoriities" Chengdu 1999 329 pages. (in Chinese only). This book is an account of head ornament across the entire range of minorities in China with colour drawings and photos of headdresses as worn. Follows the same clear lay out as "Ethnic costume and clothing Decorations from China" (text is minimal) (Hanshan Tang)

I will put further details of these on my website when I have time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:25 pm 

Thanks for the book information. They sound interesting and I'll try to find copies.

I have a strange one :"Taiwan's Aboriginal Culture Postage Stamps Pictorial", published by: Chen Chiung-ling. Directorate General of Posts, ROC. It is interesting in that half of each page can be used as a postcard! and the accompanying stamp is also included - all in a quite nice pictorial format picturing each of the different Aboriginal tribes and featuring its traditional crafts. I can't imagine anyone actually using it that way however.

Another one in Chinese and English and which the Miao collectors may know is: Bonding via Baby Carriers. The Art & Soul of the Miao and Dong People. Yu-Chiao Liu Lan, Christi Lan Lin, Brenda Lin. Published by: Les Enphants Co. Taipei, Taiwan.

Thanks again for the info.

-John

siriol richards wrote:
I have recently tracked down 3 books on minority costumes and textiles which may be of interest to the forum. 2 are in Chinese only, but are highly illustrated the English translations are given below:

"Art of Guangxi minorities customs: colorful costumes"
which I obtained from Paragon book Gallery consists of 2 vols, the first is illus with very high quality colour photographs of the beautiful and unusual costumes worn by the Miao,Yi, Dong and Yao nationalities. All the photos are of people wearing these wonderful costumes. The second vol consists mainly of photographs of the textiles themselves showing details of patterns and colours wiith some photos of their production. (these vols are in Chinese only and will probably never come out in English but are a fantastic photo resource)

"Taiwan's Aboriginal Peoples" Taipei 2002, 198 pages
This vol is in dual English and Chinese and is a colouful photographic account of the tribal minorities of Taiwan. (the photos are high quality) It covers such peoples as the Atayal, Saisiat, Bunun, Thao, Tsou, Rukai , Amis, Puyuma, Paiwan and Tao (Yami) and shows the ceremonial dress and textiles of each group together with photos of ceremonies which involve ceremonial swings and sacred fires among others. I obtained this vol from Hanshan Tang

"Headwear and ornaments of Chinese Minoriities" Chengdu 1999 329 pages. (in Chinese only). This book is an account of head ornament across the entire range of minorities in China with colour drawings and photos of headdresses as worn. Follows the same clear lay out as "Ethnic costume and clothing Decorations from China" (text is minimal) (Hanshan Tang)

I will put further details of these on my website when I have time