tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

I would like to share with you a book which I got today having been directed to it by the winter newsletter of the Textile Society of Hong Kong “Imprints on Cloth: 18 years of Field Research among the Miao People of Guizhou, China” by Sadae Torimaru and Tomoko Torimaru. The review said:
Quote:
"An excellently illustrated compilation of 18 years of research on the Miao in Guizhou province. This book has step by step instructions and illustrations on how many of the Miao textile traditions are accomplished. Techniques illustrated include glossy cloth, piece dyed attire, stitched-resist dyeing, crinkled textiles, wax resist attire, pleated skirts. This book is a must have for collectors of Chinese minority group textiles."

If you are interested in the textile techniques of the Miao then this is the book for you. It is meticulously presented with stage by stage photos and explanations. The explanations are illustrated through focusing on many different Miao groups (which are identified by location) and, in many cases, personalised by the name of the person demonstrating the technique. This gives the book an immediacy that engages the reader.

I emailed the contact given in the TSHK newsletter: yiwada@pacbell.net which generated a very helpful response from Kris Detwiller for Yoshiko I. Wada (the translator into English of the book). Kris said:
Quote:
"“Imprints" retails for $45 USD + shipping, which would be about $12 if I send Global Priority. I can send the book with an invoice. Please pay after you receive the invoice. You can pay by check made out to Y. I. Wada in sterling if you like, just be sure to convert the USD amount + $5 (for bank fees) to GBP. You can use http://www.xe.net/ucc/ for conversion.

Just to let you know, one of the authors of Imprints, Tomoko Torimaru will be attending the 6th International Shibori Symposium in Tokyo, May 14-17, 2005. Our office is part of planning and organizing the event. You might check our website, www.shibori.org for more information.

Also, both authors, Tomoko and Sadae, will be teaching at Convergence in 2066 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Joss Graham in London, of Joss Graham Oriental Textiles, carries this book from time to time. You might encourage him to keep a stock of copies for other interested parties in the UK.

I will send your order as soon as you confirm.”

I contacted ‘Oriental Textiles’ ( jossgrahamgallery@btopenworld.com 020 7730 4370) and was delighted to discover that he had a copy in stock which I collected today. There was one more volume in the shop – I don’t know if there were any more not on display.

In a subsequent email from Kris it seems that:
Quote:
“There is an earlier book called 'Spiritual Fabric,' by the same authors, which addresses the processing of the fibers and weaving techniques of the Guizhou people. It is only in Japanese right now, but they are in the process of translating it into English. It should come out sometime next year. You might look for it then, and you can always email our office to check on it's status.”

This sounds like a ‘must’ for the library when it is published.

Attachments:
File comment: “Imprints on Cloth: 18 years of Field Research among the Miao People of Guizhou, China"
imprints-cloth-e.jpg
imprints-cloth-e.jpg [ 57.96 KiB | Viewed 7416 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:34 am 

Pamela

Please could you give details of the publisher and the books catalogue number.

Thanks

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry Andrew, I had meant to amend my post to say - see China bibliography at http://www.tribaltextiles.info/bibliogr ... _books.htm

However the relevant info is:

"Imprints on Cloth: 18 years of Field Research among the Miao People of Guizhou, China" by Sadae Torimaru and Tomoko Torimaru published by The Nishinippon Newspaper Co. in 2004. ISBN 4-8167-0592-9.

You might try the emailing yiwada@pacbell.net and Kris Detwiller may be able to give you an outlet in Taiwan which is stocking the book.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource