tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

I received last week a copy of 'A World between the Warps: Southeast Asia's Supplementary Warp Textiles' by Michael C. Howard and published by White Lotus Press, Bangkok in 2008. ISBN 978-974-480-144-9. It is No.12 in the 'Studies in the Material Culture of Southeast Asia edited by Dr Howard.

I am still reading my way through it. What has particularly caught my eye are the results of some research by Michael Howard into the Cham (in Vietnam and Laos) and their weaving. There are some excellent photos of an amazing tanung munim jih talah frame loom and some textiles from it. I will see about posting a photo of the loom on the general section of the forum as Dr Howard has kindly given me permission to do so. I gather that he helped to arrange for the weaver, Mrs Mo, to travel to the recent ASEAN textile symposium in Manila, where she set up her loom and gave weaving demonstrations at the national museum. I don't know if any of our forum members who went to the symposium managed to see her.

I have already posted a photo of a Li weaver reproduced in the book from the 1937 book by Hans Stübel's 'Die Li-Stämme der insel Hainan: Ein Beitrag zur Volkskunde Südchinas' http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1323

I get more and more interested in weaving as I seek to understand the woven textiles in my collection. This new book sheds light on several items in my collection.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am 

Do you know where you can buy this online? It seems to be almost impossible to buy directly from Lotus press these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Admin

I have heard from others recently of the difficulty in buying direct from Lotus Press. However, I have had no problem doing so. I email Diethard Ande directly, sort payment details, (he happens to have a sterling bank account and lets me pay by sterling cheque mailed directly to him) and the books have arrived speedily. That was how I received this book. I am afraid that I don't know of any on-line booksellers where it is available.

I was sent email info on books recently from White Lotus and I paste below the contact details from the bottom of the email (including Diethard Ande's email:

White Lotus Co., Ltd

G.P.O. Box 1141
Bangkok 10501
Thailand

145/3-6 Soi Huay Yai Chin , Huay Yai Pattaya,
Banglamung , Chonburi 20260 Thailand
Tel. (66)0-38239-883-4 / Fax (66)0-38239-885
Email: ande@loxinfo.co.th
www.whitelotuspress.com and www.whitelotusbooks.com

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource