tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Miao-Tzu books
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 am 

I have 2 Miao-Tzu albums. There are a total of 82 watercolor images. One book has 42, the other 40. It is stated that the manuscript was mounted into satin board in 1883 by Mr. Yang. Each book is roughly 11.5 inches in height and 6.5 inches wide. The height of the images on the page is roughly 8 inches. The top 3.5 inches is a margin with Chinese text on one page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Admin

I am going to move this post to the 'Books' section of the forum although a copy will remain on the 'General' thread.

I contacted forum member Steven Frost to get him to look at your post. Although he said he did not have time to make a public post he has sent me some comments which I am adding below.

Very best wishes,

Quote:
Pamela,

I am sorry I do not have time to do a proper public post on the Miao illustrated ethnographies. During the Qing Dynasty in Guizhou amateur painters (usually local officials) recorded the customs of minorities in their districts. The most famous of these is the Bai Miao Tu or One Hundred Miao illustrations. "Miao" here is a generic appellation for all the different tribes inhabiting the Guizhou mountains. These were annotated, and hand bound. The paintings were then periodically re- copied.

The University of Washington published something a few years back (small format) that talked about these types of books. In Guangxi Minorities- Colorful Costumes there are ink illustrations also taken from Guangxi imperial ethnographies.

I have a reprinted large format two volume set in a slipcase that I put on my website next update, but no time now.

All the best,

Steven

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 pm 

Dear A. J. Reed,

I am a collector and researcher of hemp textiles. The Hmong-Miao were traditionally and still are among the premier weavers of hemp in southwestern China and northern Southeast Asia.

I have always been curious to see if I could identify any hempen costumes in the Miaotzu Albums, but I am yet to come across one during library research.

Do you have photos of the illustrations in the books? Is there any accompanying text?

Please let us know. I for one am fascinated by the prospects of viewing pre-photographic images of minority costumes.

Cheers!

Society for Economic Botany - Life Member
Textile Society of America - Member