tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

I just wanted to remind forum members that copyright laws do not allow us to post photos from books on this forum unless we have the permission of the the author/photographer.

We can quote from books (as long as it is only relatively short quotes and we attribute to the author and give details of the book.) However, the copyright laws are different for photos and express persmission is required to use them.

Susan Stem contacted Dr Michael Howard last week and told him how we frequently refer to and quote from his books. She asked him if, from time to time, we could post a photo from his books. He replied
Quote:
yes, you have permission to use photos from the books so long as the source is cited

Similarly, last year I contacted the Textile Museum in Washington to ask to include Zantu photos on the main tti website from an article by Jay Bommer and his wife in one of their journals. They passed on my request to Jay who came back to me and asked for more information. When he had seen the special study on Khumi, Khami, Mru, Zantu, southern Chin groups - Bangladesh and Myanmar and the thread on the forum he not only said 'yes' but supplied me with colour photos rather than the black and white ones in the journal article.

I am keen to get the support of authors for the website and for this forum. It is great if they also participate in the forum - as Peter Van Ham did recently.

So, please do not post photos without the author/photographer's permission. If you have the permission please make sure that you cite clearly the source.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource