tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:49 pm 

In connection with the post concerning textiles of the Phillippines, I would llike to suggest a few books of interest which I have in my collection:
"The Last Filipino Headhunters" David Howard published by Last Gasp of San Francisco:-
Many photos of people of Luzon, some showing textiles in the form of loin cloths and shawls.
"People of the Philippine Cordillera:photos 1934-1956", E masferre
The above book is, I think, difficult to find. I have only ever seen 1 copy in 12 or so years and this I bought. It is worth tracking down as the photos show a way of life and dress that could well have disappeared. Many fine b/w portraits of people, both alone and photographed against the backdrop of the mountains of northern Luzon. All photographs by E masferre, who documented these peoples and their way of life in beautifuly composed images.
"Headhunters of Northern Luzon" national geographic magazine sept 1912. Dean C Worcester. The entire issue is devoted to the tribes of Luzon with numerous b/w photos showing traditional dress and textiles, among which photos of Kalingas and Ifugaos are a particular highlight.
"Sinaunang Habi: Philippine ancestral Weave" The Nikki Coseteng Filipiniana series Marian Pastor-Roces Manila. Magnificent color photos of textiles from the Philippines, covering all main ethnic minorities. Modern studio photos of people wearing textiles, and an indepth text concerned with their design and symbolism.
"From the Rainbow's Varied Hue: textiles of the southern Philippines" Fowler Museum Textile series. Informative essays on aspects of texiles in the southern Philippines with fine photos both old and present day.