tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:38 am 
Site Admin

The winter Textile Society of Hong Kong magazine gave details of the first exhibition by the James H. W. Thompson Foundation exibition "Power Dressing: Lanna Shan Siam 19th Century Court Dress". They say
Quote:
'This exhibition is curated by the highly respected British textile expert Dr Susan Conway, and focuses on the textiles and regalia from the inland principalities of Lanna and the Shan States and the coastal kingdom of Siam. Dr Conway, the author of the book "Silken Threads Lacquer Thrones", has extensively studied the history and court of the northern Thai and Shan kingdoms. The Jim Thompson House, 6 Soi Kasemsan, Bangkok.'

In the same TSHK winter journal was information of a new textile society being formed in Bangkok, The Textile Society of Thailand. It will be hosted at the Jim Thompson Museum within a few months.
Quote:
'The objective of the society is to provide a common forum for textile lovers to share their interests, access information, learn more about textiles and promote apreciation of local and world textiles. It will support outreach programs of textile-related museums and other relevant institutions and encourage creative innovation in the area of fibre arts. There will be opportunities for interesting volunteer work, travel and a newsletter. Your participation is welcome. For information contact: Kathleen F Johnson c/o U.S. Embassy, 108 Wireless Road, Bangkok, 10330 e-mail johnsonk@inet.co.th'.

I know that Kathleen is an experienced weaver and has been meeting and working with textile experts, collectors and enthusiasts since her husband's posting to Thailand. We first 'met' when she was researching Thailand and contacted me from the website. I have contacted her about the new textile society and will post any information that I receive here.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource