tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:11 pm 

Last weekend my husband Rolf and I went to the north of the country to visit some exhibitions on China.
Our first stop was in Assen, where in the local museum some objects from the terracotta army were shown. The terracotta objects were nicely exhibited. A three dimensional computer animation gave the visitors plenty of information on the army of the first emperor. Also the building was very nice.

In Groningen the capital of one of the northern provinces was the exhibition “The colours of China.” The University museum presents until September 2008 an impressive overview from costumes of the Minorities groups. More than hundred costumes on fashion dolls were shown. It was a pity that because of the formation it wasn’t possible to have a close look at the costumes, also the backside of the costume wasn’t visible. In spite of this and the lack of enough information it was an impressive exhibition. Not often you can see so many costumes in one exhibition.

Our last stop that weekend was in a small village in Drenthe were Ien Rappoldt and her husband Jan are living in a beautiful restaurated farmhouse with the typical thatch roof. Ien Rappoldt well known by her book “Woven stories.” (ISBN 906825267 Dutch/English text) on the Miao, showed a selection of her Chinese costumes. For the last eleven years she spends one month a year in Guizhou. During this time she stays at the villages with the people and takes classes in traditional embroidery techniques. The exhibition was gorgeous! In the way she exhibited things she was able to put the textiles in a context, which I think is very important. Not only the costumes were shown but they were joined with to embroidery related objects out of the daily life of the minority groups. People were ravished about the exhibition which goes on until the end of August 2008. The exhibition shows her big love for embroidery, textiles but most of all for the women who perform this art.
Exhibition in the local museum in Vledder/ Holland
On Sunday morning I got a private class in the folded patchwork technique. Ien has studied techniques like: the silk embroidery, folded patchwork, braid weaving etc. and gives workshops to introduce people here in Holland to the techniques. I already have a tremendous respect for the craftsmanship of these women, but after this workshop my respect got even bigger. And …… again a virus attacked me!

Coming home there was the catalogue on the auction of Sheila Paines collection. A very nicely catalogue which give you beside of information on the textiles a glance of Sheila’s travels and experiences.

In one word …………..a weekend to enjoy! Both textile exhibitions are well worth visiting. I talked to Pamela about this experience and asked her if it would be possible to put an more extended info on these exhibitions on the web. Because I realise that it isn’t always possible to visit everything. She agreed to work one an info.
Perhaps Iain also reads this item and decides to do the same with his exhibition in Taiwan, which I would have loved to see but the distance ……

[see thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1127 for Monique's original information about these two exhibitions]

Attachments:
File comment: Exhibition in Groningen.
DSCN0114.JPG
DSCN0114.JPG [ 88.03 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]
File comment: Exhibition in Groningen.
DSCN0120.JPG
DSCN0120.JPG [ 96.22 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]
File comment: Costumes from Guizhou.
DSCN0141.JPG
DSCN0141.JPG [ 95.12 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]
File comment: The exhibition in Vledder.
DSCN0165.JPG
DSCN0165.JPG [ 85.79 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]
File comment: Taking classes in folded patchwork.
DSCN0133.JPG
DSCN0133.JPG [ 91.83 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:14 am 

Hi Monique-
Many thank yous for sharing your textile adventures with us! It sounds like a really rich weekend and the examples you show just make me want to see more. You were lucky that photography was allowed in all the venues- I often find that this is not the case. I'll second the request to Iain to share his exhibition with us armchair voyeurs, if possible.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/