tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

For anyone who is going to be in the UK this summer and can get to Hampshire there is going to be a touring exhibition 'Faraway Festival Costumes: Traditional dress from south-west China' at a couple of the museums within the Hampshire Museums system: Eastleigh Museum - 8 July to 19 August - and Aldershot Military Museum - 26 August to 14 October 2006.

See the website of the Hampshire Museums Service with links to the individual museums and their schedules http://www.hants.gov.uk/museum/exhibitions/exhibs.html

The description of the exhibition is:
Quote:
Visually spectacular festival costumes from China, on display for the first time in the UK, will be on show with photographs to illustrate the landscape, the people and their traditional craft processes which are fast disappearing. Visitors to the exhibition will gain an insight into the complex weaving and dyeing processes and skills of embroidery and decoration. The use of colour and design is often theatrical and the combination of different techniques in single garments makes these costumes particularly fascinating.

Gina Corrigan is working with the Hampshire Museums Service to put together the travelling exhibit. I hope to go to the opening of the Eastleigh exhibit and will report back to the forum.

Attachments:
faraway.jpg
faraway.jpg [ 5.29 KiB | Viewed 3806 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yesterday I visited the 'Faraway Festival Costumes: Traditional dress from south-west China' exhibition on its first day at Eastleigh Museum in Hampshire. I attach a couple of photos of the exhibit (I am afraid that in general no photography is allowed but Gina Corrigan, whose material is on show, gave me permission to take photos yesterday).

The exhibit occupies one medium size room of the Museum. There are about 9 reasonably full costumes on models (and not behind glass) and about half a dozen other textile items displayed on the walls. There are three glass cases showing jewellery, weaving and embroidery. There are story boards of explanation including techniques (especially Dong indigo dyeing) but, regrettably, what I understand was a very informative board on weaving compiled by weaver Ann Richards with Gina has not been included by the Museum in the exhibit. Also missing (at least yesterday but possibly they may appear later) are photographs of each of the costumes on display being worn by the relevant ethnic group. There are a number of Dong items, some Miao, Bouyei, Shui, Yi and Yao.

Note that one of the photos is of the contemporary woman's festival costume of the Rao Jia from Longshan township, Majiang County, Guizhou province. I was particularly interested in this as we have seen on this forum some beautiful wax resist bed covers in Andrew Dudley's collection. (see http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=145 and http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... =1233#1233 )The Rao Jia are officially categorised by the Chinese government as part of the Yao but the Rao Jia themselves to not accept this and say that they are a separate ethnic group. I mentioned to Gina that I was surprised that the Rao Jia costume on display did not have any wax resist - given the beautiful wax resist that I had seen via Andrew - and she said that some costume does incorporate it.

I enjoyed the exhibit and learnt some new things from the priviledge of seeing the items on display. Clearly a small exhibit can only give a flavour of the breadth of styles and techniques employed by the ethnic minorities of southwest China in their clothing. Most of the textiles were fairly contemporary items which Gina had purchased direct from villages. However, some items were acquired via dealers and possibly older including a very finely embroidered Shui jacket and trousers (centre of first photo below) which might be 1950s.

There is no catalogue of the exhibit but the book 'Miao Embroidery from South West China' by Ruth Smith (and featuring other items in Gina's collection as well as some of her photos) is available at the Museum. (See http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=286 for more info on this book.) Good news is that Ruth, Gina and their team of researchers are currently working on another book which will feature the textile techniques of other, non-Miao groups in south west China.

Attachments:
File comment: View of some of the festival costumes on display at the Eastleigh Museum.
IMGP5140w.jpg
IMGP5140w.jpg [ 53.29 KiB | Viewed 3747 times ]
File comment: Front view of Rao Jia woman's festival costume from Longshan township, Majiang county, Guizhou. The Rao Jia are considered Yao by the Chinese authorities but not by the group themselves who consider themselves to be a separate ethnic group.
IMGP5138w.jpg
IMGP5138w.jpg [ 61.96 KiB | Viewed 3747 times ]
File comment: Display case of mainly jewellery items with some hats, footwear and braiding bobbins
IMGP5160w.jpg
IMGP5160w.jpg [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 3747 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource