tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Looking though my British Museum 'What's on January - February 2015' received today I see that there is going to be an exhibition of Pacific barkcloth clothing in room 91 of the British Museum from 5 Feb - 16 Aug 2015. So far the website version of their 'What's on' has not caught up with this information but, no doubt, it will in due course. The brochure gives the following information:
Quote:
Shifting Patterns: Pacific barkcloth clothing
Room 91 5 Feb - 16 Aug 2015
Discover a selection of clothing from the Pacific made of barkcloth. Including a myriad of styles and designs, these garments are used to wrap, drape and adorn the body, reflecting the ongoing relevance of barkcloth as an art tradition.

Searching the website for 'barkcloth' I see that the BM collection includes some barkcloth woven by Fletcher Christian's widow. (I hate to insult readers' knowledge by saying of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' fame :))

The forum has had an intermittent trickle of enquiries - usually out of the USA - about Pacific barkcloth. I shall aim to visit the exhibition next year and hope to learn a little myself.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

When I had a chance to look at the accompanying British Museum Magazine (Winter 2014, Issue 80) I found an informative three-page introductory article by Natasha McKinney from the BM's Department of Africa, Oceania and the Americas. Four good images but none of them currently loaded onto the data on the BM's website. It mentions that 40 cloths from the 900 (!!!) in the BM's collection have been chosen for the exhibition! At the end of the article it refers the reader to the BM website so presumably information on the exhibition is soon to be loaded up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

There is now a live link to the Barkcloth exhibition at the British Museum although, sadly, with only one (old) photo.