tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Today I received via email an invitation from Sandra Niessen to an exhibition at the Textile Museum in Jakarta Pameran 100th De Weefkunst Karya : Jasper & Pringadi (100 Years Jasper & Pirngadie Research in Indonesian Textiles) which runs at the Museum from 18 Oct to 20 Dec 2012.

Quote:
In 1912, the exceptional duo, Jasper and Mas Pirngadie, published De Weefkunst a review and analysis of the weaving arts in the Indonesian Archipelago. This is 2012, time to reflect on the value of their work.

We would love you to join us in doing that.

For a bit more information I have gone to Sandra's blog where she gives a schedule of her current month-long trip to Indonesia. She says:
Quote:
"...I also plan to go to Jakarta's Textile Museum to initiate the first stage of setting up our exhibition about J.E. Jasper and Mas Pirngadie. Jasper was a colonial civil servant and Pirngadie was a Javanese artist. In 1912, they published a book together entited De Weefkunst (The Weaving Arts), the first detailed survey of weaving in the Indonesian archipelago. It is 100 years later, and I am gratified that the Textile Museum agreed to allow me (together with MJA Nashir and Pang Warman) to celebrate this anniversary of the appearance of the book. We have been working hard on this project for many months."

Ever since I have known Sandra she has spoken in awe of this work of J.E. Jasper and Mas Pirngadie as part of their several volumes on the crafts of Indonesia with Jasper writing the text and Pirngadie providing the fine illustrations. De Weefkunst is a very detailed survey of textile creation in Indonesia at the beginning of the 20th century. I deliberately use the word 'creation' as it is not only a survey of the textiles but of the techniques employed to create them which makes this very special indeed especially now when these skills are increasingly being lost.

I hope that Sandra won't mind but I am attaching here a couple of images Nashir sent to her when he was researching the artist/illustrator Mas Pirngadie. They are from a display in the Museum Nasionale so not in the current Textile Museum exhibition.

Attachments:
File comment: Exhibition at the Textile Museum Jakarta 18 Oct - 20 Dec 2012 Pameran 100th De Weefkunst Karya : Jasper & Pringadie
invite_w.jpg
invite_w.jpg [ 90.08 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]
IMG_2602.jpeg
IMG_2602.jpeg [ 29.24 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]
IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2643.jpeg [ 25.44 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]
IMG_2617.jpeg
IMG_2617.jpeg [ 24 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am 

Pamela! Thank you so much for this post! You always do such a wonderful job.

www.bataktextiles.com
http://bataktextiles.blogspot.com/