tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The East Indies Museum
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 am 

We would like to welcome everyone to our newly-opened online museum featuring many different kinds of traditional textiles and artefacts from South-east Asia.

The link is: www.eastindiesmuseum.com

Don Harper

Attachments:
File comment: The East Indies Museum - Textiles Page
Textiles-page.jpg
Textiles-page.jpg [ 152.29 KiB | Viewed 3951 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Don

Very many thanks for sharing this link with the forum. I have had a look at your website - very nice and benefits from some close examination. I like the idea very much that the museum collection is on-line with good photos. Since there is very interesting material it would be nice if a site search engine could be added to help someone find a particular genre of textile.

I was interested to see on your Scholarly Collaboration Page:
Quote:
The East Indies Museum extends an invitation to scholars and collectors to share their expertise by contributing a detailed description for any of the artworks in the collection of which they have specialized knowledge. We seek such help in order to provide viewers with accurate, expert analyses regarding the provenance, history, cultural attributes and purpose of every piece.

We will be grateful and honored to publish your contribution and request that you kindly submit it to us for review after which authorship will be ascribed to you unless you prefer to be unidentified.

I see that the museum has a physical address - or is this the shop only? Would be good to visit although I look back on the days when I was fortunate to visit Singapore once or twice a year as part of my work with some regret. Now retired and tied at home as principal carer my travelling days are very much on hold. However, definitely flagged for the future!

All the very best with the Museum!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:30 am 

Hello Pamela,

Thank you for your positive and encouraging comments about our newly-established online museum. Although the address of the museum is in Singapore, currently the collection is viewable only online. Products from the shop will also only be available by visiting the site. Your suggestion to add a Search Box is very helpful and we shall create one very soon. Regarding our Scholarly Collaboration page, we have already received quite a bit of help from some experts although we have yet to publish any specific comments by them. If you do indeed come to southeast Asia, please let us know. We reside in Saigon and would be very happy to entertain you by offering you a homemade lunch of Vietnamese cuisine.

Don