tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Admin

For those of you lucky enough to be able to visit the Clark Center for Japanese Art and Culture (15770 Tenth Avenue, Hanford, CA 93230, USA. Tel: (559) 582-4915, Fax: (559) 582-9546) there is what looks to be a fascinating exhibit of textiles of the Ainu and Okinawan of Japan - Woven Identities of Japan: Ainu and Okinawan Textiles which runs from Sep. 4 – Oct. 29, 2011. I have had an interest in Ainu textiles for several years attracted by the very identifiable strong appliqué motifs on their textiles.

There is information on the web about the exhibit I quote below some paragraphs from the web text:

Quote:
"Textiles are an intrinsic part of life across all cultures throughout history. Whether used as clothing, containers, or mere decoration, textiles literally bind communities together. No other medium at once communicates social standing, cultural values, and aesthetics while also carrying out a functional purpose.

This fall the Clark Center returns from its summer break with Woven Identities of Japan: Ainu and Okinawan Textiles. The first of two rotations, this exhibition will showcase articles of clothing made using different weaving, dyeing, and decorative techniques. This rotation focuses on the clothing of two unique ethnic groups; the indigenous Ainu of Northern Japan and the Okinawans of Southern Japan. Featuring the dramatic, plant-fiber robes of the Ainu and the brightly colored kimono of the Okinawans, this exhibition offers a rare glimpse into the world of Japanese folk textiles.............

Woven Identities of Japan: Ainu and Okinawan Textiles offers a glimpse into the clothing of two cultures that, while part of the same country today, were in the past truly distinct from mainland Japan. This exhibition features outstanding works from the private collection of Thomas Murray, a dealer of Asian and Tribal arts and an enthusiastic collector of Japanese textiles."

My thanks to Thomas Murray for sharing information on the exhibition with me. It would be great to receive comments on the forum from anyone lucky enough to be able to visit the exhibition. I am being cheeky and posting a couple of photos from the Clark Centre exhibition web info here for your enjoyment - see the website for info on the textiles and a couple more photos as well as opening times, location etc.

Attachments:
File comment: Bingata kimono. Okinawa. 19th century. Cotton with katazome stencil-dyeing. 123.2 × 188.8 cm. Collection of Thomas Murray
2011-textiles1-R1.jpg
2011-textiles1-R1.jpg [ 109.58 KiB | Viewed 3256 times ]
File comment: Kaparamip robe. Ainu, Hokkaido. Late 19th century. Cotton; applique, embroidery. 129.5 × 124.5 cm. Collection of Thomas Murray
2011-textiles1-A4.jpg
2011-textiles1-A4.jpg [ 94.31 KiB | Viewed 3256 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource