tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Just to keep forum members up to date and especially for anyone who is lucky enough to be in Jakarta later this year, here is news of an exhibition at Erasmus Huis Jakarta:

Warisan Textil Batak Textile Heritage Project Pulang Kampung

22 September - 1 November 2011

The exhibit is on on Sandra Niessen's 'Back to the Villages' project (Project Pulang Kampung) when she took copies of her book Legacy in cloth back to the weavers of North Sumatra who had helped her with her research for the book. It will also feature the launch of a book in Indonesian, Berkelana dengan Sandra, Menyusuri Ulos Batak by the project's photographer, MJA Nashir. (More of this on Sandra's blog.

Sandra invites us to the opening on 22 September at 19.30. From all accounts it should be an exciting event. She has promised to blog lots to keep the rest of us in the loop.

I attach the poster of the exhibition.

Attachments:
POSTER_PAMERAN_PPK(EH)lowre-w.jpg
POSTER_PAMERAN_PPK(EH)lowre-w.jpg [ 100.18 KiB | Viewed 4495 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Jakarta Exhibition
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 am 

Pamela, thank you so much for posting this information for the followers of the forum. We are, indeed, expecting that it will be an exciting event.

If you come and you have a Batak textile, please wear it over your shoulder. There should be music and an opportunity to dance in the Batak way.

The Erasmus Huis in Jakarta is very generous and is putting on a grand buffet for the occasion.

Both MJA Nashir's book and my book, Legacy in cloth, should be available for sale.

We look forward to greeting you there!

www.bataktextiles.com
http://bataktextiles.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Just thought that I would share with forum members the most recent info on forum member Sandra Niessen's latest exhibition, with MJA Nashir, Project Pulang Kampung to be staged at the Erasmus Huis in Jakarta. I also love the image that Nashir has created of Sandra, himself and the Batak weaver from the exhibition poster. (I believe this image features on a T-shirt).

Exhibition Warisan Textil Batak Textile Heritage
Proyek Pulang Kampung
23 September – 1 November, 2011

Sandra Niessen and MJA Nashir will be present during the opening on 22 September at 19.30.

Proyek Pulang Kampung is a story, told in photographs, about an extraordinary journey into the Batak heartland of North Sumatra. In 2009, Sandra Niessen’s encyclopedic documentation of the Batak textile tradition, Legacy in cloth, Batak textiles of North Sumatra, was published. She felt a moral obligation to bring it to the villagers who had assisted her with her research. When she returned to the villages in 2010 with forty copies of the book to give to the weavers who would otherwise never see it or be able to afford it, she found the textile tradition in crisis. The book has sparked pride among the Batak for their unique and irreplaceable woven legacy but also sadness at its decline. Originally intended as a reference work for museums, the book has a far more important function as a record of a cultural tradition from which Batak weavers can derive inspiration. As a result of its distribution, there are villagers now at work to revive the ailing art form and develop a formula to secure its success into the future.

Batak textiles that Sandra collected while researching her book, including many woven by the recipients of the book during the Pulang Kampung project, will be on display.

Dr. Sandra Niessen is a Dutch-Canadian freelance anthropologist who has written extensively about Batak textiles over a period of thirty years. During the opening of the exhibition, she will share her story about the Back to the Villages project.

MJA Nashir, an Indonesian filmer-photographer, writer and poet, documented the journey in images and words. He will launch his eye-witness account of the project, Berkelana dengan Sandra, Menyusuri Ulos Batak during the opening of the exhibition.

Attachments:
Pulang-Kampung-w.jpg
Pulang-Kampung-w.jpg [ 88.54 KiB | Viewed 4380 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Just to add to this series of striking posters for Project Pulang Kampung here is the latest one which I received today of MAS Nashir's book Berkelana dengan Sandra, Menyusuri Ulos Batak which is being launched at the exhibition which opened today, 22 September 2011! (I just love the title 'Wandering with Sandra.....'!)

CONGRATUALTIONS to Nashir on the publication of his first book and to both Sandra and Nashir for the exhibition - how I wish I could join you today!

Attachments:
NAS-book-poster-w.jpg
NAS-book-poster-w.jpg [ 88.91 KiB | Viewed 4308 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

MAS Nashir has sent me a few photos from the opening of the Project Pulang Kampung exhibition on 22 September - a couple showing the exhibition itself, one of Sandra speaking at the opening and another of Nashir reading from his book Berkelana dengan Sandra, Menyusuri Ulos Batak which was launched at the exhibition.

Attachments:
File comment: A view of the 'Project Pulang Kampung' exhibition at Erasmus Huis in Jakarta
01w.jpg
01w.jpg [ 80.15 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
File comment: A view of the 'Project Pulang Kampung' exhibition at Erasmus Huis in Jakarta
02w.jpg
02w.jpg [ 66.17 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
File comment: Sandra Niessen speaking at the opening of the 'Project Pulang Kampung' at Erasmus Huis in Jakarta on 22-09-11
05.jpg
05.jpg [ 40.24 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
File comment: MAS Nashir reading from 'Berkelana dengan Sandra' at the opening of the 'Project Pulang Kampung' exhibition at Erasmus Huis in Jakarta 22 Sep 11
03w.jpg
03w.jpg [ 32.99 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]