tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to draw forum members' attention to a very interesting and well presented website and blog on backstrap weaving particularly focused on Latin America. http://backstrapweaving.wordpress.com/

I can't take any credit for finding the website as it belongs to a new forum member who has just joined us, Laverne. I was just checking out the membership as we have been having so many horrid spammers joining us recently. What a lovely surprise when I followed through on her website link!

Laverne is an Australian living in Bolivia and completely hooked on backstrap weaving. She has been learning directly with weavers in several countries in South and Central America. She explains technique, shows local textiles and, a special treat, shows textiles actually being prepared for weaving and woven by the indigenous weavers. It is all very much 'hands-on' which is great.

Her latest blog should certainly please MAC as it focuses on ikat in Latin America.

I haven't yet finished reading everything on the site - lots of goodies still to follow through on and I am quite sure that I will be returning again and again.

Just to give you a flavour of her style, this was the top post on the blog a couple of days ago when I first landed on her site:

Quote:
SITTING AT MY LOOM…ergonomics

I have been weaving with my backstrap loom for around 14 years now and feel very comfortable with the set up I have here at home-a stable place to tie up the loom, a good cushion and a broad sturdy backstrap. I try to have everything I need – needles, extra dowels etc - placed around me within reach before I get strapped into the loom as well as an emergency unstrapping strategy so that my warp and sticks don’t end up in a tangled mess on the floor when I jump up to answer the door. I always grab the loom bar and hold the warp under tension while I slip off the backstrap cords and then gently place the loom on the floor. Other non-weaving related essentials that need to be on hand include the remote controls for the dvd player and tv, the cd collection on one side and the laptop and snoozing cat on the other. The phone can just ring for all I care! although I do have an answering machine which I sometimes remember to turn on.

I have been in touch with Laverne by email giving her a welcome to our forum community. She is planning to sit back and see what we are all about and check out the back material before leaping in with a post. I look forward to her sharing some of her weaving knowledge with us when she feels comfortable doing so.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:54 am 

What a great addition to our forum! I had a very pleasant distraction from other duties while perusing her blog- loved the beautiful, rich patterns of the various weavings she has created, as well as those of her teachers. South American weavings appear to be complex both technically and in terms of pattern, and I find them very pleasing. I look forward to her contributions to our forum.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/