tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vernon's blog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I thought that it would be worth drawing forum members' attention to Vernon's blog. It is, of course, included in his forum signature and he refers to it from time to time. However, I keep a short cut to his blog on my desk top and, usually last thing before closing down/ I click on it to see if he has posted new anything on the blog.

If you go to the blog at the moment http://vernonkeditjolly.blogspot.com/ there is a superb post titled 'The sapat' In the post he shares with us photos and information on the wake of a distant relative.
Quote:
The wake demonstrated a living aspect of Iban material culture in situ - the use of pua kumbu to create the sapat.

There are some amazing photos of 'the sapat' which are accompanied by Vernon's description of the wake. I am posting (with Vernon's permission) one of the photos here. (My thanks to his aunt Selaka Mawar who took the photos).

There is a thought provoking point made by Vernon:
Quote:
The existence of this hitherto unknown collection of ritual blankets opens up and presents a new series of questions, being a veritable treasure trove of new information and data regarding the weaving tradition in the Saribas. Ordinarily, such pieces of Iban material would be regarded as masterpieces in the international antiques market as well as across international collections of Iban material, but in the Saribas, they are still regarded as the average work of the average weaver - an interesting perspective that has not been comprehensively explored. A thorough study of these textiles must be undertaken to better understand the Iban material.

To use Vernon's own phrase, his blog is a 'veritable treasure trove' of information on the Iban weaving tradition of the Saribas, set firmly within its culture. We have been fortunate that Vernon keeps sharing much of it with us here. However, his blog is an exciting growing body of information which Vernon keeps recording as he gets deeper into his research. His latest open plea for photos is producing gems:
Quote:
Do you have old photographs which show pua kumbu being displayed in their natural environment and/or cultural context? If you do and don't mind sharing them, please contact me as I wish to collect old photographs which have pua kumbu, for publication in my book on pua kumbu.

Attachments:
File comment: one of the photos of the sapat created from hanging pua kumbu showing a glimpse of the family attending the wake in the longhouse
IMG_1230w.jpg
IMG_1230w.jpg [ 82.24 KiB | Viewed 3284 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:22 pm 

Thank you Pamela.

The blog has since been shut down as I found some of my material plagiarised.

I've started a new blog, here http://stambak.blogspot.com

Post subject: Vernon's Blog
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:45 am 

Vernon, wonderful to have you back as a blogger. Your new site looks absolutely terrific.

www.bataktextiles.com
http://bataktextiles.blogspot.com/