tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Ann Goodman has alerted me to an exhibition of 'Southwestern China Ethnic Textiles' from the collection of Eric Boudot at the Gallery Marthe Dumortier, Zenobe Grammestraat 34, 2018 Antwerp (tel: +32 3 239 14 00) web http://www.dumortiertextiles.com/ (although there is nothing about this exhibit on line so far). The exhibit is running from 23 October - 16 December 2009. Ann picked up the information from HALI 160 p. 12 and p.117. The exhibit would seem to focus on weaving. Hali says:
Quote:
"...a rare opportunity for Belgian textile lovers to enjoy a wide array of splendid ethnic costumes and textiles seldom seen in Europe, as well as the chance to appreciate and understand the complexity and sophistication of ancient weaving techniques that are today almost extinct. The great majority of the textiles that will be exhibited are handwoven on the traditional back-strap loom using natural materials and dyestuffs, and are decorated by means of archaic weft-patterning techniques (typically weft-faced compound tabby, with supplementary wefts of different colours inserted by means of separate shuttles or pulled through with a hook), all of which will be clearly explained at the exhibition through a series of supporting pictures, diagrams, tools and technical analyses."

The piece illustrated in the Hali article is a 19th century Tujia wedding bedcover from the Xiangxi area in western Hunan Province. There is a page advert for the Marthe Dumortier NV gallery and exhibition showing a 'Rare Yi ceremonial coat. Malipo area, southern Yunnan, 19th century'.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

I am pleased to post, on behalf of Ann Goodman, feedback on the above exhibition in Antwerp - and her exhortation to try and see it before it closes on 16th December 2009!

Quote:
For The Textile Forum: I just returned from Antwerp where I visited the wonderful exhibition at the DuMortier Gallery, which is advertised in the Fall edition of HALI on the inside back cover, showcaseing a group of textiles from Eric Boudot. I met Rob Clarke from Amsterdam there and we enjoyed the exhibition together and had a lovely dinner. Rob scooted back to Amsterdam on the last night train and I and my husband spent two more days with Jacqueline and Marc DeBolle, owners of DuMortier Gallery. Their hospitality was heartwarming. All Chinese ethnic minority textile collectors should hurry to see this exhibition. I came from Boston and it was worth the trip.

Pamela, if you have time, please post this for me on the Forum.

Best,
Ann

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource