tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Steven Frost has found info on an exhibit in Santa Ana, CA which may be of interest to forum members:

Masters of Adornment: The Miao People of China
November 15, 2008 – ongoing

This important collection of exquisite textiles and silver jewelry on loan to and from the Bowers Museum’s permanent collection highlights the beauty and wealth of the Miao peoples of southwest China. Symbols of status and culture, the elaborate textiles in this exhibition include finely pleated skirts, complex batik pattered cloth, intricate silk embroidery and shining textiles woven with metal. Over 50 examples of ornately designed and created silver bracelets, necklaces and decorative ornaments compliment and complete the exhibition of late 19th and 20th century Miao regalia. More than an examination of masterful techniques and beautiful style these objects reveal hundreds of years of Miao history and tradition and, the patience and dedication to achieve beauty.

I can't find a special web page on the exhibit but the above info is on the Bowers Museum Current Exhibitions webpage: http://www.bowers.org/explore/exhibitions.jsp

Bowers Museum
2002 North Main Street
Santa Ana, CA 92706

Attachments:
File comment: Masters of Adornment: The Miao People of China at the Bowers Museum
MiaoCostume.jpg
MiaoCostume.jpg [ 8.14 KiB | Viewed 2956 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I have managed to find a press release on the exhibit which I am attaching.

There is a photo of a nice Bailing Miao jacket but I think it may have the wrong caption in the press release as it is billed as
Quote:
"Woman's Dandu Stle Jacket, 20th century, cotton, Job's tears, glass beads and natural dyes; Miao People, Guizhou Province, China."
I was not aware of 'Job's tears and glass beads' on Bailing Miao textiles and can't see any in the photo. Andrew, are you aware of this sort of decoration being used by the Bailing Miao?

Attachments:
MiaoPressReleaseFinal.pdf [647.87 KiB]
Downloaded 377 times

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource