tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

I thought it might be worth drawing forum members attention to the availability of the British Museum's collections on line as an aid to research. I mentioned this in passing on another thread in this part of the forum http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1222 (my post of 07.11.08 ) when I referred to T Richard Blurton, Curator, South and South East Asia at the BM pointing the way to finding Apatani textiles in the BM collection on line.

I was reading the latest edition of the BM Magazine this morning where, on page 59, Anthony Griffiths, Keeper, Prints and Drawings, mentions the project to put the whole collection of the BM on the web:
Quote:
".....project to put the whole collection of the British Museum on the web. We are halfway through the process, and so far the collections of five departments have been published; the remaining three will follow by the middle of 2009. At present (winter 2008) about 10% of the use of the whole BM site is of Collections Online; we expect this to double over the next two years. Do try it yourself. And please do use the advanced search screen: it is even more powerful and precise. The Help page explains how to do it."

I was interested in the run up to this statement where he talked about his own department of Prints and Drawings:
Quote:
"Computers and the internet have changed all that (the old way for researchers to see if they could access material for their research at the BM). As I write, the department has 258,000 well-indexed records posted on the web, of which 145,000 have good quality images attached. So wherever in the world you are, (just right for forum members!!!!) you can find out if we have something, and more than 50% of the time you can get a picture of it as well. We have a team of cataloguers and scanners working full time to add more records and images, and the information we have posted is being improved all the time. It is widely recognised internationally that our (BM) database is far ahead of anything else in its field. We have a file full of emails from grateful users. The one we were perhaps most pleased with was from a leading scholar who said that the site made research so much easier that he was now going to write a book on prints that he had put aside as being impossible to complete."

When I did my own research to find the Apatani textiles unfortunately there were no images but I could - at a price of about £50 - have requested an image to be made. A large amount for a casual look but perhaps less so if it was an essential item and perhaps also a good way to provide sponsorship for the BM although not, I think, tax deductible as a direct Gift Aid donation would be.

The link to access the BM online database is http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... abase.aspx or, very simply, from the BM home page click on the Research link at the top of the page and then from there click the link to 'Search collection'.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:29 am 

Hi Pamela! Long time no see, sorry I haven't been around much. I've just completed my thesis on the form and design of ikat limar. I'm waiting for my viva now.

Thanks so much for this link, I absolutely love browsing museum collections :)