tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

I must alert forum members to a splendid exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum (V&A) in London running from 5 November 2007 - 30 March 2008. Even if you cannot get to see the exhibit itself (in room 40) there is an excellent web resource at http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/asia/Ikat/index.html with 37+ ikats to see and click for enlargements, also a link to a page on how the ikat is made which is taken from a film running at the exhibit. There is a book to accompany the show 'Central Asian Ikats' by Ruby Clark available from the V&A shop with a link from the aforementioned web page. (Loads of colour photos of the ikats, black and white old photos and informative text although the ikat captions have slightly less info than the captions in the exhibition itself.) There is also info on what sounds an excellent study day on Asian ikats at the V&A on 18 March (a limit of 40 places). I have been lucky enough to get a place and am very much looking forward to it.

I was wowed by the exhibit - of men and women's coats and wall hangings. I have always loved these bold ikats - no shrinking violets here! I enjoyed going around carefully and reading the info on each textile (given with the keen student in mind as well as the casual viewer) and then had a lovely walk around and just let the textiles bowl me over with their vibrancy and colour. A feast for the eyes and a lift to the spirits!

Attachments:
File comment: Man's robe with large spots on a bright pink background Bukhara, Uzbekistan. About 1900. Silk and cotton, lined with cotton. From the Rau collection and currently on display at the V&A.
42033-large.jpg
42033-large.jpg [ 89.8 KiB | Viewed 3342 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource