tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:21 pm 

Children clothing, a celebration of life.

On the first of October an exhibition starts with this title in the library of the beautiful little town in the south of the Netherlands, called Valkenburg aan de Geul.
In this exhibition you can see about 150 items out of the collection of ethnographic children clothing from Monique Derwig. Together with the textiles a number of pictures made by Peggy Kneefel, Pamela Cross and Monique Derwig from children wearing the clothing, are shown.
The clothing shows the enormous love from the mother for her child. The mothers embrodery needle often is like a pen with whom the mothers express their creativity, their relation with their culture, religion and nature. The items often are little pieces of art.
Let the clothing lead you to exotic places.
The exhibition is organised because of the fifth anniversary of the association Kumari, who provides better care and education to disabled children in the third world ( www.stichtingkumari.nl ). All income of this exhibition will go to the association.
On the third and sixth of October a fashion show for and by children from Valkenburg is organised. The children show ethnographic clothing out of the collection from Monique Derwig.
On the ninth of November a lecture is held in the library with the title “Symbolism in children clothing.” Mrs Sheila Paine from England, well-known from her books “Embroidered textiles.”, “Embroidery from India and Pakistan.”, “Amulets.” and mrs. Peggy Kneefel, textile collector and seller of textiles from Amsterdam will take part in this lecture.
Information: 0031-649140669

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:25 pm 

Forgot to post a picture from one of the jackets that can be seen during this exhibition.

Attachments:
File comment: jacket from Saurashtra, a district in Gujarat/ India
DSCN4467web.JPG
DSCN4467web.JPG [ 105.94 KiB | Viewed 5668 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 am 

Congratulations Monique! I know this is something you've planned on doing for a long time and I'm very happy for you, your community and the community of Kumari that it's going to happen. I only wish I could be there to see your glorious collection- the Indian jacket posted is really stunning and makes me want to see more, more! It's wonderful that you are willing to go to all the effort to share your collection.

Chok dee/best of luck,
Susan

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:43 pm 

The exhibition started and this week we organised two fashion shows by children. These were a great success!
The first comments were very positive! I share some pictures from the exhibition and the fashion show. Enjoy!
Next on the programme: a lecture by Sheila Paine and Peggy Kneefel on the subject: Symbolism in childrens clothing.

Attachments:
File comment: Exhibition.
DSCN6925.JPG
DSCN6925.JPG [ 25.69 KiB | Viewed 5570 times ]
File comment: exhibition
DSCN6922.JPG
DSCN6922.JPG [ 24.58 KiB | Viewed 5570 times ]
File comment: Two Dutch- Indian friends.
553_0567.JPG
553_0567.JPG [ 26.32 KiB | Viewed 5570 times ]
File comment: Wearing a jacket from Gujarat.
553_0545.JPG
553_0545.JPG [ 23.93 KiB | Viewed 5570 times ]
File comment: Wearing a Miao costume.
553_0538.JPG
553_0538.JPG [ 25.04 KiB | Viewed 5570 times ]