Site Admin

The following press release was sent in to www.tribaltextiles.info

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 25, 2007

What: 11TH TEXTILE SOCIETY OF AMERICA BIENNIAL SYMPOSIUM
When: September 24-27, 2008
Where: Sheraton Waik?k?; Honolulu, HI

CONTACTS:
SYMPOSIUM COORDINATORS: Tom Klobe, klobetm@hawaii.edu, (808) 261-6461; Reiko Brandon, rbrandon@hawaii.rr.com
MARKETPLACE CHAIR: Linda-Mei Jaress; ljaress@hotmail.com
PUBLICITY CHAIR: Charlie Aldinger, bishoppr@bishopmuseum.org; (808) 847-8271; fax: (808) 842-4703

Web Site: www.textilesociety.org

Hawai'i to Host 2008 International Textile Symposium
Exhibitions, Marketplace, Symposium Open to Public

Honolulu, HI..Rags may mean riches for Hawai'i tourism in 2008. Honolulu, Hawai'i has been selected as the site for the 11th Textile Society of America Biennial Symposium set for September 24 through 27, 2008 at the Sheraton Waik?k? Hotel. Textiles as Cultural Expressions will be the theme for the major international arts event being coordinated by Tom Klobe, Director Emeritus of the University of Hawai'i Art Gallery; and Reiko Brandon, renowned fiber artist and former Curator of Textiles at the Honolulu Academy of Arts. The conference is open to the public. Information is available at www.textilesociety.org.

"Hawai'i's rich and especially rare collections of textiles include Hawaiian feather cloaks and Polynesian kapa cloths at the Bishop Museum, Japanese costumes and Qing Dynasty court attire at the Honolulu Academy of Arts, Islamic textiles from the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art, and Hawaiian quilts at Mission Houses Museum and Queen Emma Summer Palace, among many others," says conference organizer Klobe, who has a reputation for orchestrating successful community-wide arts events such as Crossings '97: France/Hawai'i and Crossings 2003: Korea/Hawai'i. "This symposium will celebrate the Pacific Rim's strong cultural traditions in the fiber arts and provide venues for our regional fiber artists to display their work for a worldwide audience."

The international symposium will attract textile collectors, curators, students, educators, scholars and experts from around the world as well as highlight Hawai'i's own esteemed museum and private collections and knowledgeable curators. In addition to presentations of scholarly papers and panel discussions, which form the foundation of the symposium, there will be an array of textile collection tours and exhibitions that highlight the diversity of this culturally rich Pacific location.

"I am most excited about the opportunity to introduce our regional researchers, artists, teachers and experts to the greater international textile community. These individuals will be sharing the abundant textile resources of our Asian and Polynesian textile traditions that are rarely available or known outside of Hawai'i," says Klobe.

The symposium will also feature a two-day International Textile Marketplace at the Sheraton Waik?k? with a wide array of specialty textile products including books, textile conservation products, wearable art, and one-of-a-kind textile collectibles. The International Textile Marketplace will be open to conference attendees and the general public for shopping from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, September 25 and 26, 2008. Dealers, textile artists and regional craft vendors interested in participating in the Marketplace should contact Marketplace Chairperson, Linda-Mei Jaress at ljaress@hotmail.com.

Conference headquarters will be the Sheraton Waik?k?, an award-winning meetings and convention property located on Waik?k? Beach in the heart of Hawai'i's most famous resort destination. The Sheraton Waik?k? is noted for its outstanding conference facilities and will be extending conference rates for pre- and post-conference stays.

In addition to events held at the Sheraton Waik?k?, special site tours to museums and private collections will be organized around themes that include art conservation, ethnic textiles, garments in paradise-aloha wear, Hawaiian quilts, plantation era textiles, and traditional Hawaiian fiber arts.
Special exhibitions of contemporary textile and fiber art are being planned in a variety of community venues to coincide with the symposium. Among the galleries participating are the University of Hawai'i Art Gallery, Academy Art Center, and The Contemporary Museum at First Hawaiian Center.

On view at the UH Art Gallery September 21 through October 31, 2008, will be a special exhibition, Writing with Thread: Traditional Textiles of Southwest Chinese Minorities. Angela Sheng, Assistant Professor of Chinese Art History at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada is the curator of the exhibition. Admission is free to the public.
This exhibition will feature over 300 objects from the most inclusive collection of Southwest Chinese ethnic minority costumes in the world. Writing with Thread will showcase the finest and rarest costumes from 16 ethnic groups and nearly 100 subgroups and will explore the meanings associated with the production and use of indigenous clothing. In societies without written languages, traditions and customs are orally passed from generation to generation. However, the textile arts, largely practiced by women, provide tangible evidence of a group's history, myths and legends. The signs and patterns woven or embroidered in their clothing and the ceremonial and ritual use of textiles are often replicated in the accompanying silver ornaments made by men. (For more information about Writing with Thread, visit www.hawaii.edu/artgallery.) An international colloquium themed around this exhibition will precede the symposium. For more information about the catalogue for this exhibition see the post on the books section of the forum at http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1224

Tattered Cultures: Mended Histories is curated by Mary Babcock, Assistant Professor and Fibers Area Chair, Department of Art and Art History at the University of Hawai'i at M?noa, in collaboration with Carol Khewhok, Curator, Academy Art Center, Honolulu Academy of Arts. It will be presented at the Academy Art Center September 6 through 28, 2008. This fiber art exhibition, which will feature a collection of work by international fiber artists, will explore how dominant ideologies of a specific time and place often tatter the cultural heritage of the less-dominant and more culturally diverse. Admission for this exhibition is free to the public.

Fiber Hawai'i: Crossing Boundaries, the biennial juried exhibition sponsored by Hawai'i Craftsmen, will be on view at The ARTS at Marks Garage Gallery. This juried exhibition is a showcase of contemporary art and craft based on fiber traditions that uniquely encourages creative interpretation of fiber as media as well as idea. Artists are encouraged to explore their work within the context of contemporary fiber art. Artists from all media participate. The exhibition committee also brings a fiber artist of national stature to jury the show and share their work and observations about current developments in the field. Admission is free to the public.

Other textile displays will include a presentation of Hawaiian quilts at Mission Houses Museum, exhibitions of wearable art by members of the Handweavers' Hui at the Louis Pohl Gallery of Fine Art and SubZero/Wolf Showroom Gallery; exhibitions of textile and fiber arts at the Pegge Hopper Gallery and Honolulu Hale. Honolulu Academy of Arts will present an exhibition of Asian textiles from the Academy's own prestigious collection. All exhibitions will be open to the public, with respective venue admission fees as applicable.

Pre- and post-conference tours will include opportunities to see and learn about many unusual and one-of-a-kind textile collections in Hawai'i including Hawaiian quilts at Queen Emma Summer Palace and feather cloaks and capes, Hawaiian kapa cloth, makaloa mats, and lauhala at Bishop Museum; The tours will also present opportunities to observe the textile lab at Doris Duke's Shangri La, the screens and scrolls lab at the Honolulu Academy of Arts, and the objects conservation lab at Bishop Museum. Only registered conference participants will be able to attend the tours.

Site seminars will include discussions of plantation era and early 20th century textiles in Hawai'i, traditional fibers in Hawai'i and the Pacific, Hawaiian quilts, Indonesian textiles, Chinese imperial robes and minority costumes, contemporary textiles in the Pacific region, Japanese textiles and Islamic textiles.

The international symposium will include the Textile Society of America's Founding Presidents' Awards banquet to recognize excellence in the field of textile studies and presenters whose proposals are judged to be outstanding. It will conclude with a Pau Hana/Aloha Presentation on Textiles as Cultural Expressions in Hawai'i: The Meaning of Hula by Michael Pili Pang and his hula troupe, Halau Hula Ka No'eau.
Information about the Call for Papers is currently on-line at www.textilesociety.org. Deadline for submissions is October 1, 2007.
The Textile Society of America gratefully acknowledges the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism (DBEDT) of the State of Hawai'i for its support of the 11th Biennial Symposium in Honolulu.
The Textile Society of America (TSA) provides an international forum for the exchange and dissemination of information about textiles worldwide, from artistic, cultural, economic, historic, political, social and technical perspectives. TSA was established in 1987 and has over 500 members worldwide.

For more information about the 11th Biennial Textile Society of America Symposium in Honolulu, Hawai'i, visit www.textilesociety.org, or contact Tom Klobe at klobetm@hawaii.edu.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource