tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:21 pm 

Dear all,

It's official: Hong Kong University Museum and Art Gallery will hold a substantial exhibition of ikat textiles from my collection from 15 September through 26 November 2017. The occasion will be celebrated by the publication of Ikat Textiles from the Indonesian Archipelago, the first work of reference on the subject. The opening is on 14 September. Please let me know if you wish to attend.

Attachment:
File comment: Welcome to the opening!
HK Announcement - Small.jpg
HK Announcement - Small.jpg [ 166.05 KiB | Viewed 563 times ]

Kind regards,
Peter

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:31 pm 

Congratulations Peter. I wish I could attend but can't. But please keep us informed of any publications we can purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 pm 

Thanks John. Sure will keep you posted. And you please let us know when Woven Power is out!

Be well,
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Further to Peter's initial announcement of his exhibition at the start of this thread all seems to be gathering momentum for the official opening of the exhibition on 14 September, 2017. The details are:

Exhibition:"Fibres of Life: Ikat Textiles of the Indonesian Archipelago"
Venue: University Museum and Art Gallery,
The University of Hong Kong, 90 Bonham Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong

Timing: 15 September to 25 November, 2017

'Fibres of Life' is rich in fine and rare examples, some of them probably unique. Another outstanding feature is the depth of its documentation, including systemic use of microphotography.

The occasion will be commemorated by the publication of Ikat Textiles of the Indonesian Archipelago, with around 450 pages, over 200 full page plates, 100 in-text illustrations including both contemporary and historic field photography. The book covers the whole archipelago, some of it in passing, other parts in depth, including several ikat weaving areas that so far have not been covered in the literature. To facilitate further research it has over 500 footnotes and a fine-grained index. A panel of ten region-specific experts helped to enrich Ikat Textiles of the Indonesian Archipelago with information only they could have provided, and several fellow-collectors and generous photographers provided rare materials. Now at the end it feels almost like a communal project. It was certainly a project that was widely supported. Steven G. Alpert was so kind as to write the insightful foreword which contextualizes the collection and helps to appreciate the collecting philosophy that informed it.

Attachments:
File comment: Ikat Textiles of the Indonesian Archipelago
Cover-Design-Ikat-Textile-w.jpg
Cover-Design-Ikat-Textile-w.jpg [ 84.73 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:45 pm 

Great looking book Peter. How can we purchase it?

My catalogue and the Curator's book for the Woven Power exhibition should be ready by December.

Great work Peter. Keep it up.

-John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 pm 

Dear John,

To get around the logistics issues we have decided to move publication up towards a launch date in November, close to the end of the exhibition. This gives me better control of colour proofing. The idea is that by the time I arrive in Hong Kong on 8 September they will have the first set of proofs for me to judge, then we can perfect the colour rendition while I am still around. They will then get me back to HK in November for the book lauch. Hope this all works as planned!

I am glad that you (and other interested parties like me) can look forward to have your book in hands in a few months too!

As soon as ordering information is available I will post it here. But of course you don't need to worry about ordering John!

Best regards,
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am 
Site Admin

The Hong Kong University Museum has now uploaded an information page on the exhibition to their website at http://www.umag.hku.hk/en/exhibition_de ... id=3739620

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource