tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Visit in North Vietnam
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:01 am 

Hi,
I am trying to get back on the forum and eventually, get in touch with some ``taiwanese`` who have interests in tribal textiles...
i have been recently to North Vietnam (Ba Cha, Sa pa, Co kri) and brought back some items that need a good wash.
Please give me your tips and/or recommendations to avoid disasters.

Otherwise I would like to give a quick comment about the success my little presents found over the local embroyderers : needles, coloured coton threads, and needle threaders for old ladies ! Returning some portrait pictures is also very well appreciated.You can do it via your guide if you are lucky to have a tacful one like I did. We realised we should have taken a polaroid in order to give the pictures strait away.
If you want to travel light, you can buy on the local markets the basic materials such as woolen threads or fabric, and distribute them along your treck in the smaller villages.

Well if you have any questions, i`ll be happy to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks very much for sharing your feedback on your visit to Vietnam with the forum. I am glad that you had a positive experience.

Interesting to read that
Quote:
you can buy on the local markets the basic materials such as woolen threads or fabric
On another thread on this forum we had a discussion about the use of wool as decoration on textiles when wool is not a 'natural' textile locally. I think it cropped up in the case of a loin cloth from Central Vietnam - see http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... c.php?t=19 Machine processed wool thread for decoration (and for knitting) is most definitely finding its way into the markets of Vietnam (and S W China) and has probably been doing so for some considerable time.

I would NOT wash the embroideries in a washing machine. I would hand wash - separately - in luke warm water with a very soft pure soap like Dreft. Don't leave the embroideries soaking in the water as this and hot water will encourage the dye in the embroidery threads to run especially any red dyes which tend to be very fugitive. Rinse out in cold water. Some salt in the rinse might help fix the dye.

I suggest rolling dry in an (old) towel and then smooth out and dry flat on towels. Try to avoid drying in direct sunshine as this is likely to fade the textiles. You want to avoid water with dye disolved in it being able to run or seep into light coloured fabrics or threads.

If at all possible AVOID washing! Gentle brushing can get off dust and dried mud. Gentle vacuming (use a small vacumer for cleaning up crumbs from the table or inside of car.) I admit that sometimes washing is necessary! Baby carriers are often soiled. However, if something is just slightly 'used' in appearance and you want to add it to a collection or display it try and restrain yourself from washing it. Do examine any textile closely and make sure that there are no insect cocoons. Also, look for dropped food or wax on a garment. Unfortunately this can attract moths and other textile eaters. Doing some 'spot' cleaning may save the fabric from future damage.

If you have indigo dyed wax resist textiles these should wash fine as long as coloured thread or fabric has not been added afterwards. The waxing process requires removal of wax by hot water. Some Hmong/Miao add embroidery and fabric applique to their waxed textiles and these can often run - as you will see from older textiles.

I will try to encourage anyone with tribal textile interests living in Taiwan to be in touch, at least via this forum. Are you aware of Fu Jen Catholic University in Taiwan which has a large collection of Miao textiles and has published two books? There is an interesting profile on the Textile Society of Hong Kong website see: http://www.textilesocietyofhk.org/Newsl ... Taiwan.asp

Your post seems to have set me off in lots of directions.....!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm 

You can just go to visit some minority villages in Sapa where you can see how they produce tribal textiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

ankhanh

Unless you exercise some restraint in your posting I will delete or ban your membership of the forum. I have reduced your spate of postings to the one immediately above.

This forum is not a vehicle for advertising but one for those seriously interested in tribal textiles.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource