tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Taijiang apron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:52 pm 

Here is a Taijiang apron similar to one posted by Pamela (12 May 2005 in the Miao village of Da Zhai, Taipan township, Taijiang county, Guizhou province). Swastikas form the main, very pronounced pattern of this woven apron with some highlighted by supplemental weaving in purple silk. Supplemental silk weaving (in two different colours of purple) is also employed to highlight diamond-shaped negative space areas. The colour of the supplemental weaving imposes a grid pattern at 90 degrees to the overall diamond shaped weaving to give great movement to this piece. The lower portion of the central panel is wovenly separately using the same weaving pattern with a purple silk dyed weft and black silk warp. The central panel is bordered by an almost paper thin calendared cotton the base of which has a small appliqued strip of hemp/raimie with a section of couched metal foil enclosing an incredibly small satin stitched floral and foliate design highlighted with Dazi knots with a base of satin stitched triangles.
Iain

Attachments:
File comment: Taijiang apron full view
Taijiang apron.jpg
Taijiang apron.jpg [ 180.81 KiB | Viewed 5235 times ]
File comment: Taijiang apron central panel detail.
central detail.jpg
central detail.jpg [ 162.9 KiB | Viewed 5235 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Iain

What a beautiful piece, very skilfully executed. I would guess that it was made to be worn by an older woman as the colours are generally subdued. Beautifully subtle yet with the the few lighter highlights to give it a zing. This textile really appeals to me. (Well done with your photos, they certainly show up the different techniques involved.) From a distance a very deceptively simple apron and yet so much work to create it and of a high technical quality for each of the techniques.

When I like something I always seem to resort to a food-related term so 'yummy' or perhaps 'scrumptious'!!!

Thanks for sharing....

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:58 pm 

Ian-

Wjhat exactly is a Dazi "knot." I have heard the expression of "Dazi" embroidery refered to heavily couched cording combined with seed knots or the like. Pardon if this is an ignorant question.

Bill
driving-distances Womens-Health banking-commission nursing-assistant society-of-cpa pharmacys cosmetology-schools massage-therapy registered-dietician speed-dating accountant drivers-permit gift-shops unemployment-offices city-maps weather-forcast resident cardiology Xenical gmat bridal-consultant no-rx neurology koa-campgrounds rx-drugs rottweiler-rescue florists agencies health-care quilt-shops no-prescription radiologic-technology vetenary home-inspectors colleges-and-universities certified-public-accountant gyms Norvasc skateparks area-code

Last edited by Bill Hornaday on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Knots and embroidery
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:36 am 

Greetings Bill
The word 'da-zi' means making seeds/seed-like apearance (zi = seed). The making of the stitch shown below is taken from Young Y. Chung (1979). The Art of Oriental Embroidery. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, p. 37. ISBN-10: B000S1XS46. The variety found within these dazi knots is acheived by varying the number of loops made around the needle before it is reinserted into the ground fabric. The appearance is of course also varied by the positioning of knots in relation to one another.
My understanding is that the knots/stitches are referred to as 'dazi' knots/stitches which, in combination with a number of other techniques and frequently in combination with a couched gimp thread outline, is then referred to as dazi embroidery.
Regards Iain

Attachments:
File comment: Seed stitch. (Dazi stitch).
Young Y. Chung (1979). The Art of Oriental Embroidery. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, p. 37. ISBN-10: B000S1XS46.

clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg [ 7.68 KiB | Viewed 5186 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:14 am 

Iain-

Thanks, that is what I have been calling a seed stitch. I have always been attracted to it.

Bill

Post subject: resurrection
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:18 pm 

I just happened across some photos of one of these aprons that I took in the town of Shidong in Taijiang County. Oddly, at the time I was told that this was a baby carrier! But it was clearly prized as an heirloom and was not for sale. I was pleased to see the lovely woven silk bands being used for straps, as I'd seen them for sale before, but always unattached, and didn't know how they were used.

Attachments:
Mail-Shidong-heirloom-apron.jpg
Mail-Shidong-heirloom-apron.jpg [ 73.45 KiB | Viewed 4359 times ]
Shidong-detail-heirloom-apr.jpg
Shidong-detail-heirloom-apr.jpg [ 68.1 KiB | Viewed 4359 times ]

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/