tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:05 pm 

Bonjour à tous

I am new on this forum. I am a french collector of textiles, rugs, kilims ...
I have recently got a little rug (200x65 cm) made with soumak technic (i.e. supplementary wrapped weft). Material is all cotton (natural and mercerized). Colours are synthetic and faded on the front. Loose wefts on the back are arranged in order to produce a "tulu" like aspect (the weaving is made for being visible from the two sides). Some tiny pieces of the design are made with brocade technic.
The general design does'nt look persian at all, but it makes me to think to something from far east like china. The two end skirts are of black plain wave cloth and show numerous coloured tassels. I would be glad to have some threads to identify the origin of this weaving.

Merci d'avance

Louis

Attachments:
soumackf_1.JPG
soumackf_1.JPG [ 26.32 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]
soumackb_1.JPG
soumackb_1.JPG [ 30.32 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]
detailsoumackf_1.JPG
detailsoumackf_1.JPG [ 71.26 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]
detailsoumackb_1.JPG
detailsoumackb_1.JPG [ 74.67 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Louis

I am sorry that no-one has got back to you about your textile. I think it is outside the area of expertise of the current active forum members. We are not 'rug' people. You might want to try the Turkotek website http://www.turkotek.com/ - they also have an active forum.

My sense is that the piece is from a Himalayan area, or one that touches. I don't have many reference books which cover this area. I was, however, looking in 'Nepalese Textiles' by Susi Dunsmore and a medallion carpet with a border pattern - page 173 - in the British Museum caught my eye because the border has some echoes of the designs in the 4 squares in your rug.

Good luck with your search for identification. If you find out please do come back and let us know.

Best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: soumak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:24 am 

Pamela

Thank you for your answer. I am a regular user of Turkotek for some years. Here too no one can give even a guess for this piece. With Filiberto, one of the adm. of Turkotek we supect also that this piece could be from circum Himalaya region, but we have no documented evidences.

Louis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:21 am 

Bonjour Louis-
Apologies for not replying sooner- I wanted to include some photos, but have not had the chance to take them. Your textile appears to be a 'sofreh', or eating cloth, also called a 'dasterkhan' in Afghanistan where it is from. I have several, both in 'silk' (actually fine cotton that they call "silk") on cotton and in wool on wool. If you have the reference Oriental Rugs, Volume 3, The Carpets of Afghanistan, by R.D.Parsons, you will find similar examples on p.52. He attributes the ones of this style to the Sunni Hazaras of the Qala-i-Nau district in NW Afghanistan and says that they are embroidered, not woven, which is not surprising as the Hazaras are known for their embroidery skills, as well as weaving skills. He also says that these elaborate ones were made for commercial sale- evidently they made simpler ones to use themselves.

Mine were acquired in the late 80's in Saudi Arabia and could have come in with Hajjis, or perhaps thru the usual channel to the Afghan carpet merchants there. There was a limited number and then no more, which is why I suspected the Hajji origin as they're the perfect size to roll up and put into a suitcase. I will try to photo some of mine so that you can compare. Merci beaucoup for bringing these interesting textiles to our attention!

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:12 pm 

Bonjour Susan

Thank you for your documented answer.
You're right. I have the Parson's book and the plate 32 ex is near of mine, dimensions, composition colours and tassels at the ends.
I suspected also a commercial purpose made item (mercerised cotton is typical as it is sold as "silk").
I'll copy your post for my Turkotek forum, with your permission.

Meilleures salutations

Louis