tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iban pua
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:59 am 

I am a new member. I recently discovered the site where I found so much interesting information, especially on subjects which I am very involve with, such as Iban Pua and Kain Kebat. I did enjoy the documents posted by John.
Iban textiles are very scare in France as are scare people who are interested in! Moreover, the literature is not always as precise as we would like to be. I would be very to exchange about Iban textile and more (I read John’s interventions with a great interest).
Here I can try to post the only two Pua of my collections (unfortunately my camera is out of order and I must use the dealers’ photos). I hope I’ll be soon able to post other textiles of mine.

The first one was announced as an Early 20th c. Mualang ikat pua of Interlocking pattern (cf Gavin, pl 44), 44 x 76 inches, threads are very thin. It seems a bit strange compared with what I know about Mualang pua (but I know vevry few).

The second one is more recent and of a lesser quality. It is told to come from Saratok area. Threads are heavier and the colour is more “pink”. It’s 80 x 44 inches. I was interested by the “divided pattern” and the dynamism of the drawing. (for photos and more comment see http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=916 Pamela)

I hope these two pieces may be of an interest for the forum and will get some ractions.
Best regards.

Gérard

Attachments:
tribal textils.doc [418 KiB]
Downloaded 443 times
tribal textils.doc [418 KiB]
Downloaded 550 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Gerard

Are you able to save the images in Jpeg format and post them? I can extract an almost reasonable image of the first pua but, for some reason, only get terrible images from the second although the images look much better in the word document. If you can email them to me I can post them for you.

Forum members can then look at your images more easily to comment. Both look quite interesting.

Have you the book 'Iban Ritual Textiles' by Traude Gavin which was published in 2003? I am finding this a very interesting study indeed. I am getting near the end of the book and was intending to post some comments on it when I had finished. She quite stands on its head traditional thinking on the 'meaning' of the designs in Iban textiles - and I find her arguements very convincing. She also has lots of photos.

I hope you are able to get the images in Jpeg format.

Best wishes

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Re: Iban pua
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:22 pm 

Dear Gerard,

It is always nice to meet another pua collector. You are correct that there are very few of us, country-by-country or even world wide. I am trying to learn of other collectors such as yourself.

I have seen your Mualang pua before and recognize the picture. I had actually thought of buying it but I am glad it went to someone who appreciates it. It is probably a good idea to buy what you can (at a reasonable price) because they are so rare.

As you know there are very few Mualang ikat textiles, especially pua. the Mualang stopped ikat work before WWII and to my knowledge never resumed because they could not get materials during the Japanese occupation and gradually forgot the technique or did not wish to relearn such a slow, painstaking and unforgiving technique. They did continue after the war to make Kain Sulam skirts which is sort of like sungkit work only on whole cloth. But they made some beautiful pieces.

Fr. Jacques Maessen in Sintang West Kalimantan might have more information about the Mualang.

I will be in Kuching Dec. 17 - 22 looking for more pua and skirts.

You can find some more on the Tropenmuseum site although they are rarely identified with tribal affiliation. And some attributions I think are incorrect.

I am posting the three Mualang pua I have. I am always looking for others but I expect that they are very rare especially if in even reasonable condition.

In case you are interested, I recently published an article called "Ceremonial Skirts of Kalimantan's Mualang, Kantu and Ketungau" in the July/August 2006 issue of Arts of Asia. You can find more information there and what few references there are regarding the Mualang.

I encourage you to continue your interest in pua and Mualang

Happy Hunting -

John

Gerard wrote:
I am a new member. I recently discovered the site where I found so much interesting information, especially on subjects which I am very involve with, such as Iban Pua and Kain Kebat. I did enjoy the documents posted by John.
Iban textiles are very scare in France as are scare people who are interested in! Moreover, the literature is not always as precise as we would like to be. I would be very to exchange about Iban textile and more (I read John’s interventions with a great interest).
Here I can try to post the only two Pua of my collections (unfortunately my camera is out of order and I must use the dealers’ photos). I hope I’ll be soon able to post other textiles of mine.

The first one was announced as an Early 20th c. Mualang ikat pua of Interlocking pattern (cf Gavin, pl 44), 44 x 76 inches, threads are very thin. It seems a bit strange compared with what I know about Mualang pua (but I know vevry few).

The second one is more recent and of a lesser quality. It is told to come from Saratok area. Threads are heavier and the colour is more “pink”. It’s 80 x 44 inches. I was interested by the “divided pattern” and the dynamism of the drawing.

I hope these two pieces may be of an interest for the forum and will get some ractions.
Best regards.

Gérard

Attachments:
File comment: The actual colors are more faded
mulang bold oceanic.jpg
mulang bold oceanic.jpg [ 93.37 KiB | Viewed 5293 times ]
File comment: Note the "Rang Jugah" like motifs at the bottom. Consult Traude Gavin's book mentioned.
mualang pua 1.jpg
mualang pua 1.jpg [ 199.65 KiB | Viewed 5293 times ]
mualang pua 2.jpg
mualang pua 2.jpg [ 82.87 KiB | Viewed 5293 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

For photos of Gerard's pua from the Saratok area (the second one that he mentions above) see the thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=916

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource