tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 pm 

My grandfather was a POW in wwII and he escaped and came along a tribe who took him in.
This tapa was used for a burial ceremony.
While protecting my grandfather from being caught the tribe's royal son was shot. The cloth as seen here is quite old.
I just have NO clue what tribe. My grandfather wasnt very good at stories.
If anyone can help please do.
I am currently selling this tapa on ebay under weird stuff.
Thanks everyone and anyone.

As I have edited down the size of the photo to make viewing it easier I have added in a detail of the tapa. Pamela

Attachments:
0004_1_193-tapa.jpg
0004_1_193-tapa.jpg [ 62.09 KiB | Viewed 5350 times ]
dscf0004_1_193-tapaD.jpg
dscf0004_1_193-tapaD.jpg [ 46.83 KiB | Viewed 5360 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Piper

A very interesting piece with a fascinating, if sad, story. Please make sure that, when you pass on the tapa to the purchaser you give them as many details as possible of its history. From a collector's viewpoint this is very important.

One or two of our forum members have some knowledge of tapa and I hope that they will be able to give you some clues as to the piece's tribal heritage. As you will be aware the material it is made of is bark.

Best wishes

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:10 am 

It is most likely that this piece of Tapa is from Tonga, although there is a form of Fijian tapa that is quite similar (and it was customary in Fiji for bodies to be wrapped with Tapa in the funeral ceremony). A number of other islands are possible places that it may have come from, but without better photographs and more information it is impossible to be more specific. Do you have any idea where your grandfather was stationed in the Pacific? What military unit was he attached to? Any extra information that you can provide would help to identify the source of this piece. I strongly suspect that some of the writing that is visible has been added much later, but again without clearer photographs it is difficult to be sure. Regards, Jim Cotter

Post subject: Tapa Cloth
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 am 

This Tapa is from Tonga or the Lau Islands of Fiji. The way you can tell is by looking on the back of the Tapa, a Samoan Tapa (Siapo) has the design rubbed in on the back and front where the Tonga (Ngatu) has the design rubbed only on the top.
check out the website http://siapo.com Mary J. Pritchard's grandaughter runs the site. Her grandmother was an expert on Samoan Tapa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:50 pm 

I still have this tapa in my possession. If anyone knows of an interested party who would like to purchase it and preserve it in a museum or just in a better fashion than I can, please make an offer. I'd be willing to sell this tapa. I can be reached at piperanabell@gmail.com