tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:27 am 

Hi all,

I just returned from a longish trip. While in Inner Mongolia I met a gentleman from Beijing whose company just completed a 15 volume series on Chinese folk art, all the books are softcover and of manageable size for shipping. The one on tribal textiles is being translated into English as I write and should be available in January.
Like all the other books its not perfect, but there are interesting pieces of brocade and batik as well as all the embroidery you are all already familiar with. This book will be a excellent supplement to most of your libraries, especially if you cannot read Chinese. Once it becomes available you can order it from me here and I can ship it to you, details as they become available. There are other books I would also like to make available but the shipping cost out of China is often too high to be practical for small orders.
Attached is a photo of a Han Chinese operatic ritual priest from Guizhou wearing a very old priests robe. You can't rely on what these men say about age because they all like to exagerate to give their group more prestige. Hope it is interesting for you all.

Steven Frost

Attachments:
troupe2.jpg
troupe2.jpg [ 302.53 KiB | Viewed 7316 times ]

Post subject: One more image
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:34 am 

I thought this other priests robe on the right was quite unusual, claimed to be 100 years old. The image quality is not ideal, the sun was blazing and I was fighting a huge crowd of spectators and other photographers.
The men who are lower ranking priests have just pulled this scooper from a red hot fire and are carrying it to the high priest in the previous photo who will lick it repeatedly and demonstrate that the extreme heat cannot harm him.

Attachments:
troupe1.jpg
troupe1.jpg [ 330.17 KiB | Viewed 7313 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Steven

Very many thanks for info on the new books on Chinese Folk Art and your offer to consolidate orders for us. I for one would be very interested so please keep us posted. I have put a copy of your post on the 'Books' thread although the thread links back to the General forum.

Thanks very much for the fascinating photos of the Han Chinese operatic ritual priest from Guizhou and his assistants wearing 'mature' robes. I love action shots and to see that traditions continue. Good to see the younger assistants actively participating. Yes, the blue and white priest's robe is interesting - is it embroidery rather than wax resist? Difficult to be sure from the photo. By the way, considering the 'challenging' photo conditions you got an excellent image (and did a great job of adjusting for excessive contrast?)

Thanks again for sharing. Including action shots together with the traditional costume on the forum really adds to the resource.

It would seem that you had a pretty extensive trip this summer. Good to have you back on the forum.

Very best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:03 am 

Steven-
Great photos! I find it especially interesting to see textiles in context, being used, and these photos are great examples. Do explain "operatic ritual" for those of us unfamiliar with the belief system there. To me, it looks as tho the old robe in question is hand-drawn/painted...

I, too, would be interested in the book you offer- put me on the list.

Thanks!

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/