tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:25 pm 

Hello Pamela,

So, first I wanted to congratulate so much with you for this great, fantastic Website!!

Really, what you are doing is truely a so fascinating, great, Special Venture. Again, many, many Congratulations!!!!!

So, as I saw from some previous Threads, though the focus of this Group it most about wonderful Textiles, you liked just to talk about some beautiful Baskets, too!! Then, I would like to show you and all the forum just a wonderful little Basket from my personal Collection. That is a quite beautiful, traditional Rattan Iban Dayak "wedding" Basket from Borneo, Indonesia. So, I thought, and hoped you may be interested and like it!! Enjoy!!!!!

Now, let me tell you something about me. So, I am a great Collector first and most all of wonderful African Textiles and Baskets. Then, I started to know and developed a great interest and Passion too about overall Indonesian Textiles and in particoular for the fantastic Culture of the Dayak of Borneo!! Also, I knew and like so much the Hilltribes Peoples of Thailand and all the area of what you can call the ex-Indochina, especially the Textiles and Baskets from Laos and Vietnam!!

Indeed, if did you like and was curious about, I have some great, Special Baskets from this area, and I will be so happy to show and share them with you, maybe!!

Again, Thanks.

Best

Your Lorenzo De Rosa

Attachments:
WR016aw.jpg
WR016aw.jpg [ 60.98 KiB | Viewed 13639 times ]
WR016cw.jpg
WR016cw.jpg [ 57.35 KiB | Viewed 13639 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Lorenzo

Thank you for your kind words.

I love your Iban wedding basket! I am always attracted to the very fine weaving in these baskets and the strong designs. Thank you for sharing this gem with us.

I would be very happy if you wanted to share some more baskets with us. I know that there are other members who have a weakness for baskets. Many of us who love textiles first are also very attracted to baskets.

I love your passion for the textiles, textures and cultures!

You are very welcome as a member of the forum! Next we need to teach you how to post photos! It is really quite easy. However, I am also happy to help you post them whilst you learn!

Very best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59 pm 

Hello Pamela ,

So ,I thank you so much for your so quick Replay and kind comments!! Very kind of you.

Just ,I wanted to add two Details about the Iban Basket. Indeed ,to be absolutely honest this Basket is a more recently made ,modern Item!! Though it is a traditional and "genuine" Piece ,it is not "antique".

Indeed ,I think that is anyway a very beautiful ,appealing ,so "gorgeous" Piece ,as you say in english. Though ,also I have to tell you that I liked mostly simple and "humble" kinds of Baskets ,maybe. Just simple Items made of un-coloured Bamboo ,Rattan or whatever Material might be!! Certainly ,these kind of Items couldn't but appeal so much the Viewer ,
eventhough they are quite frequently made ,not rare at all ,as you might have thought. At the contrary the kind of Baskets made of simple ,"pure" Material ,especially from ex-Indochina are quite more difficult to find!!

Anyway ,now I would like ,just to complete the few Iban Baskets ,showing you an other one ,from my personal Collection. I assure you that you will be delighted!!!!!

Yours Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:12 am 

Hello Pamela ,

So ,This one will be ,truely a little beautiful ,Special Item!!

First ,I have to tell you that this Item ,eventhough not "antique" ,it not a new Piece!! I know that is around 30 or more years old. Alas ,it lacks the little string attached ,it went lost!! Anyway ,I thought that this is one of my most precious and certainly beloved Pieces!!

Then ,this is a little ,deliceous Iban Dayak Purse-Basket ,-(just for the girls!!). Enjoy!!!!!

Yours Lorenzo

Attachments:
bbasket12e.jpg
bbasket12e.jpg [ 73.43 KiB | Viewed 13617 times ]
bbasket12d.jpg
bbasket12d.jpg [ 75.74 KiB | Viewed 13621 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Lorenzo

first - congratualtions on successfully posting the photos of your latest basket!

second - what a delightful basket this one is. I assume that it has two layers? The outside one with the coloured designs and an inside, lining one, which will be plain? Yes, a shame about the loss of the carrying strap but that, of course, would have taken all the wear.

thanks for sharing it with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:29 pm 

Hello Pamela ,

So ,first I would like to thank you so much for the Kindness and Patience you had with me!! You had been very ,very kind.

Too, please let me congratulate ,again with you for this Forum. Really ,I know and took partecipation in many separate and different kinds of Textile Forums ,eventhough I have to tell you ,that this one is the Best Group about at all ,maybe!! Both for the width ,and most of all for the very high Quality of the things shown hier ....,and Members alike!! Again ,many ,many Congratulations!! You are ,Great!!!!!

Indeed ,just about the Baskets perhaps ,I had to add a particoular about the first Basket I presented you. That ,if I understood right and the Seller was really reliable about said me the Basket is made of Bemban!! This is an other kind of vine ,-(more valuable??!!!) ,though I didn't see a so big a difference as if that was made of Rattan!!

And ,yes!! ,it is extraordinary how Hands ,just simple human Hands can ,
actually WEAVE these fabulous Patters ,Designs ,Fantasy!! I thought that basically ,what was the difference as to weave on a loom a wonderful big Pua ,or really to weave with your own Hands this little special pieces of "Textile" ,the Baskets!! There were No difference at all ,isn't so??!!!

Again ,Thanks .

Yours Lorenzo

Last edited by Lorenzo on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Lorenzo

Many thanks for your kind words about the quality of the forum especially textiles and membership. We are very fortunate indeed to have some several members who have a very good 'eye' for fine textiles and who have been prepared to share them with us.

Whilst I think that fine baskets are to be very much admired and that they take much skill to make, I think that some of skills needed for good textiles may be even more special. Remember in the case of a pua that the weaver has to first create the pattern on the individual threads by tieing the threads in groups in a pattern and then dyeing several times. It is this part of the process which is the whole basis of a fine pua. The actual weaving of the textile requires skill but not nearly as much as the creation of the design on the thread.

I like to see the similar designs used in different media. The Iban designs are so strong and distinctive.

best wishes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:18 pm 

Pamela ,

Oh!! yes ,I absolutely agree with you!! You are ,perfectly right.

One of the thing I liked most of the Iban Dayak Baskets and Textiles alike it is the unique Quality and Fantasy of their Patterns ,indeed!! Too ,it is quite special as this Symbology could be found in correspondence on both the Baskets and Textiles ,and vice-versa. Then ,I thought this is just simply an extraordinary ,astonishing fact!! I have to say to you ,that I would like so much to be able to understand a little of the meaning and significance of all these Symbols. What a symbol could mean and represent to whom ,why ,and so on!! Honestly ,untill now I am quite unknown about all this ,alas!!

Maybe ,did you know something about??!!!

Yours Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Lorenzo

There is a book on the topic: 'Iban or Sea Dyak fabrics and their patterns' by A.C. Haddon & L.E. Start ISBN 0903585111 which was originally published in 1936 and was a descriptive catalogue of Iban fabrics which Haddon had brought back to the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge. It was re-printed with an additional preface in 1982 and published by Ruth Bean. It has many drawings of the Iban designs identifying what they represent. There is debate, of course, as to interpretation and meaning of the symbols.

You might be able to find a copy. I put the ISBN into Google and then into Book Butler and came up with 17 booksellers with the book - quite reasonably prices.

Best wishes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 pm 

Hello Pamela ,

So ,again I wanted to thank you so much for all the Information!!

Now ,I would like to tell you about my "little" Venture.
So ,I just started my personal Website ,WOVEN WONDERS!! There ,I will like to show some of the Pieces from my personal Collection. Indeed ,first and most of all it will be all devoted to the Textiles and Baskets from allover the World!! And ,something more. If did you like to go and see ,
there you will find ,already a few quite fine and beautiful Baskets from South East Asia ,too!!

So ,please go and see to this Adress : www.geocities.com/lorenz_o05 .

Too ,there is a Guestbook ,already with a full Listing ,then I will be so happy and honored if you too ,did you like ,just to drop a line ,maybe!!

Best

Yours Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Lorenzo'

Some nice images - I love that Baule mask!

We do, on this forum, sometimes get enquiries about textiles from Africa and it will be good to be able to direct them to your site as generally we don't have members with much expertise in that continent.

I note that you give John Gillow's book 'African Textiles' as a good reference - which it is! Have you also seen the smaller volume in the British Museum Fabric Portfolio series 'Printed and dyed textiles from Africa' by John Gillow. John said that the best part of writing that book was being let lose on the BM collection of African textiles!

Best wishes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:20 pm 

Pamela ,

Oh!! ,maybe who knows I can be able to let you "falling in Love" with some of the wonderful African Textiles ,too!! If so ,I couldn't be more happy and glad!!

About the Books ,yes!! I know the other one always from Mr. Gillow. Though ,what I know it is that Mr. Gillow wrote too two other great ,fantastic Volumes beside the one about african Textiles ,on Indian and indeed on South East Asian Textiles!! That is ,wonderful!!

Best

Yours Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:59 pm 

Greetings Lorenzo and others -

I'm glad to see you are interested in Borneo baskets also.

I have attached pictures of three similar ones I have. Apologies for the lack of professionalism in taking the pictures.

The "Bidayuh" I purchased in Kuching about 7 - 8 years ago.
The "lidded" basket I found on eBay a couple years ago and the "Iban wedding basket" I purchased last August at the tribal arts show in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I have a number of other baskets from Borneo and will post some of them when I return from a trip (more textiles.)

In the meantime - Let's see more baskets as part of the weaving interest.

-John

Lorenzo wrote:
Pamela ,

Oh!! ,maybe who knows I can be able to let you "falling in Love" with some of the wonderful African Textiles ,too!! If so ,I couldn't be more happy and glad!!

About the Books ,yes!! I know the other one always from Mr. Gillow. Though ,what I know it is that Mr. Gillow wrote too two other great ,fantastic Volumes beside the one about african Textiles ,on Indian and indeed on South East Asian Textiles!! That is ,wonderful!!

Best

Yours Lorenzo

Attachments:
File comment: a recent purchase from the tribal arts show in Santa Fe. NM.

I like the fine detail. Sorry I don't have a shot of the other side.

iban wedding basket 2.jpg
iban wedding basket 2.jpg [ 61.45 KiB | Viewed 13515 times ]
File comment: I find very few of these baskets with lids.
lidded basket.jpg
lidded basket.jpg [ 64.73 KiB | Viewed 13515 times ]
File comment: The Bidayuh were formerly called "Land Dayaks" by the English to distinguish them from the "Sea Dayaks" who are called the "Iban".
bidayuh wedding basket.jpg
bidayuh wedding basket.jpg [ 74.23 KiB | Viewed 13515 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:30 pm 

Hello John ,

So ,first I would like to thank you so much that did you like to Replay!!

Then ,I can hide to you that I saw some of your wonderful ,Special Items in a previous Thread on the Forum ,and so I hoped that you would like to partecipate in this Thread too ,maybe!! Again ,I thank you so much!!!!!

About the Baskets ,Oh!! John please let me tell you ,that truely I am speechless!! I was simply astonished ,amazed and ashamed ,too!!
Really ,the Pattern of that Iban wedding Basket is extraordinary ,Special!! Though all of this kind of Basket have wonderful designs ,the "weaving" allover this Item is ,just "superior". Please ,let me tell you ,that indeed my Items are not of the same range as your ones ,nor I can or want to "compete" with you!! Just ,I hoped that I might have some fine ,of good Quality Examples!! You have some extraordinary ,Unique Pieces!!!!!

Maybe ,could you give me some Information ,about it. Meseurements ,and it is an older or antique Piece ,isn't so??!!!

Naturally ,also the other two are marvelous ,Special. Fantastic the one with the lid!!

Best

Yours Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

John

Very many thanks indeed for sharing three of your special baskets with us - a very nice trio indeed. Such very fine work. There is something so very satisfying about a fine basket - not only the weaving but the shape.

The recent purchase Iban basket has a three dimensional feel to the design with the fine white weave 'floating' over the back ground stripes. The other two also show very fine weaving.

I certainly look forward to seeing some of your textile 'booty' from your recent trip when you get back and have a chance to draw breath - and get the camera out.

Very good to have back on the forum. Thanks for taking the trouble to support this basket thread.

Best wishes,