tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:55 pm 

When I was in the US I met a woman who had purchased woven belts from members of the Russian Old Believer communities in Oregon which are believed to have been woven prior to the 1960's when these groups were in China having fled persecution in Russia.

The structure of these belts appears to be the same as Andean pebble weave and I reproduced one of them using the weaving techniques that I have learned here in South America. In Andean pebble weave the motifs appear on both sides of the textile with their colors reversed.
However, I know better than to make an immediate assumption that the weaver of these belts did in fact employ the same technique. I had not been able to find any information about the use of this kind of weaving technique in Europe or China until I found an article on the net that was a discussion of the differences between card-woven and non card-woven pebble weave structures.
http://www.stringpage.com/tw/twohole.html
Here is a quote...

The first example is the Andean pebble weave structure woven on 2-hole tablets with a 4-hole warp-twined selvedge. This structure is found in other regions, including Central Asia, but is traditionally not woven on tablets. There is no warp twining, and the front and back are identical but with reversed colors.

So, according to the author of this article, the Andean pebble weave structure is or was used in Central Asia.
What I would like to know is if anyone has textiles in their collections or has seen images of textiles with this pebbled structure on both faces or has seen textiles with similar motifs.

The yurt bands that I posted about on another thread here are not woven in Andean pebble weave technique as they have only one pebbled face. The back side of the band has a completely different appearance. They are not woven in a complementary warp technique.

I would like to pin down where these bands were most likely woven, if people in Central Asia use these bands themselves or if they were especially made for the Russians, or if perhaps some of the Russian women learned the technique and used it to create their own belts. Are the motifs Russian in origin or Central Asian?

Any help would be appreciated.

A photo of one of the belts and my reproduction follows.

Laverne

Attachments:
File comment: The other side of the band on my backstrap loom
P6041038dsz.JPG
P6041038dsz.JPG [ 91.84 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: At left, the original belt. At right, my reproduction.
old believer reproductiondsz.jpg
old believer reproductiondsz.jpg [ 69.98 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:53 pm 

Hi Laverne, Have you had a look at Anna's post Romanian Aprons? You might find it interesting as it relates to the Birth Symbol motifs you have been weaving. Anna is good at searching and lists verious internet sites with lots of interesting info.

Here is a photo of a very intricate and stylized form of the birth symbol on a Timor textile from Indonesia. I think this is a warp, float weave but
as I am not a weaver I'm not sure if that is the right term.

Best Regards, MAC

Attachments:
2010_05 26 # 0069 Timor, Beti Sotis UP-1.JPG
2010_05 26 # 0069 Timor, Beti Sotis UP-1.JPG [ 172.66 KiB | Viewed 3878 times ]

Last edited by MAC on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 pm 

Thank you MAC. I will take a look.

Laverne