tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:46 am 

I first went to Mai Chau in 1997 and fell in love with it. I have since studied Vietnamese and returned to Mai Chau several times, making friends and recently living there, in Ban Lac and Ban Pom Coong (next to Lac) for 7 months, doing research into the lives of the White Thai and the effects of tourism and "development" on their culture. It is an amazing place, filled with amazing people.

I am writing to let you know that a very good friend of mine in Lac has recently begun a project to revive old methods of weaving, which have been largely abandoned as tourist weavings become more and more popular.

Thu, my friend, has begun using hand spun thread dyed with tree barks and leaves of plants for different colors. This new project has begun in response to a desire on her part to revive old ways, and to find "new" methods of working to making souvenirs. Now, there are about 20 women in the village interested in beginning to work in this older manner.

If you are interested in further information as well as photos documenting the process of this, please contact me and I would be more than happy to provide them for you.

I\'d like as many people to know about this as possible, (and so would my friends in Lac).

thanks so much, Suzi Garner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Suzi contacted me with this information and I suggested that she share it with the forum. I have said that I would be very pleased to received photos and I will put them and info together to make a gallery/study page for the www.tribaltextiles.info site with the material that she sends to me and, of course, link back to this thread on the forum.

I hope that Suzi will keep us updated on progress as it sounds an excellent venture. Whilst we collect the old textiles, to many of us - and I am definitely one of those - it is a matter of priority that the traditional skills of weaving and dyeing with natural dyes are passed on to the current generatin and not lost.

It is so good to hear about such projects.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Further to the earlier posting from Suzi Garner about the revival of old textile techniques in Mai Chau, Viet Nam, she contacted me this week having written an article on the developments in Mai Chau. I have turned the article and accompanying photos into a set of web pages which can be found at:
http://www.tribaltextiles.info/articles ... i_Chau.htm

I hope that you find them interesting. I am very grateful for Suzi taking the trouble to write the material and sharing it with us. I hope that she will keep us in touch with developments in Mai Chau.

Attachments:
08t_114.jpg
08t_114.jpg [ 5.21 KiB | Viewed 4665 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I had an email today from Suzi Garner and thought that I would share the news of her latest project in Mai Chau with the forum:

Quote:
I thought you might like to know, beginning now and for the next year and a half I will be doing a project with the community in Mai Chau to do the textile revival on a much larger scale. We will work with the Vietnam Women's Museum and as the women go through the process of remembering and recreating something new, they will be documenting it as well with cameras given by the museum. In the end there will be an exhibition, both in Mai Chau and at the Museum, including very old Thai textiles from Mai Chau, right up to the new. Interest is high and now that the government has supported them to plant mulberry and raise worms, the project will be completely "local", in that all materials will be 100% organic. Everyone is very excited about it.

The project sounds fascinating. I hope that Suzi will keep us updated on its progress.