tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Maonan Baby Carrier
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:09 am 

I purchased this older Maonan baby carrier in Pingtang County on a recent trip. I thought I would share it with you all. It is an unusual piece and while a relatively simple design, it has strong character. The baby carrier was made by the mother of the woman pictured.

Attachments:
pingtang2.jpg
pingtang2.jpg [ 373.76 KiB | Viewed 9635 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Steven

Thanks very much for sharing this photo of an old Maonan baby-carrier together with the daughter of the maker. I particularly appreciate textiles shown with 'family'.

It makes me think just how difficult it is in isolation to identify textiles. This to me has Shui overtones and some of the designs are also similar to Qing Miao applique designs. The dress of the woman could easily be Bouyei, Shui or even Miao. Oh dear, how easy to be misled! I was not aware of the Maonan people. I have googled them and post here a few links.

http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Minoritie ... aonan.html
http://www.china.org.cn/e-groups/shaosh ... maonan.htm
http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=MMD
http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/ljzg/3584/t17901.htm

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:28 am 

What a wonderful piece. They obviously expected to have twins or triplets with a carrier that size! Is this a standard size?

Do you have any idea whether the blue and black triangle pattern has any specific meaning, as it is found on many minorities textiles? On Rao Jia pieces, I've been told (once only) they represent dragons of some sort, but to describe a pattern as a dragon seems to be a catch-all explanation!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:13 am 

Andrew,

The baby carrier is not particularly huge, she is a small woman. I haven't heard the diamond geometrical shapes being given a symbolic attribution. They appear however, on a lot of older pieces and among several different ethnic groups.
The artisan who made this carrier was working with limited materials, for example the total absence of fine coloured thread. In this case the geometric shapes offer interesting contrast and also embellish a large area using only a little material.
With regard to Pamela's questions about the Maonan, the Maonan people are primarily in Huanjiang Maonan Autonomous County in northern Guangxi. The largest population outside Guangxi is in Pingtang, Guizhou. The Maonan are one of China's smallest minority groups. As far as textiles their silk wedding blankets are the most well known. The Zhuang also make beautiful silk blankets which are stylistically very similar.

* I wanted to add other images of Maonan pieces but the photo attaching feature seems to be stalling on me. Steven, this may be because the size of your images was greater than 500K which the forum is programmed not to accept. Although smaller than the 500K limit I have reduced the sizes of both your images - I hope it does not spoil sight of this very beautiful carrier too much. Pamela

Attachments:
maonan1_227w.jpg
maonan1_227w.jpg [ 92.11 KiB | Viewed 9564 times ]

Last edited by sqfrost on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:24 am 

Here is a detail of this beautiful piece

Attachments:
maonan1det_791w.jpg
maonan1det_791w.jpg [ 61.31 KiB | Viewed 9562 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:04 am 

Steven

This amazing baby carreir has some Bailing Miao attributes, both in design and colours, and also of the Dong Jia (a small group based in Dainzhai county). I'll try and dig out relevant photos for a comparison.

The black and plum coloured cloth at the top looks to be a newer addition, and the bottom of the carrier seems to be missing. Can you give us a full photo of the complete carrier please.

Do you buy your amazing pieces on site or in Kaili or in a Nanjing market?

(For an idea of Dong Jia baby carriers, see page 113 of Bonding via Baby Carriers. Although this carrier is called a Rao Jia carrier, the upper, original bit is old Dong Jia, the lower additional piece of batik is probably taken from a fairly modern Rao Jia head scarf. Dong Jia do embroidery as well as applique).

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:27 am 

Andrew,

The second carrier has only the part I photographed. It is not mine, but remains in the Maonan village where I photographed it. The owner said it would be used to teach young women to embroider etc. Lets hope it serves its purpose.
Attached is one more detail shot of this carrier. It was a magnificent piece.
I buy wherever and whenever I can find things I like and can afford. As you well know its increasingly difficult to find nice things. There is nothing worth buying- except Chinese furniture- in Nanjing.
Its probably a blessing as otherwise would seriously damage my bank account.
This forum has great unrealized potential for us to share more and educate one another, but I am as guilty as everyone else when it comes to neglecting it when I get busy. These days I have had more time at home and thus post more frequently.

Steven

Attachments:
maonan_911w.jpg
maonan_911w.jpg [ 68.46 KiB | Viewed 9553 times ]

Post subject: Maonan baby carriers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:47 pm 

I was delighted to see Steven's carrier as I also have two Maonan baby carriers collected from Pingtang some 15 years ago. However, the two in my collection appear to be significantly smaller than Steven's! The colours of both these carriers is significantly muted perhaps reflecting the use of vegetable dyes which is particularly noticeable in carrier #2. Will have to post a few more Maonan pieces as this group does not seem to be well represented on the forum or indeed books easily available to non-Chinese speakers?
Regards
Iain

Attachments:
Maonan carrier1.jpg
Maonan carrier1.jpg [ 33.51 KiB | Viewed 8796 times ]
Maonan carrier1 detaila.jpg
Maonan carrier1 detaila.jpg [ 51.67 KiB | Viewed 8796 times ]
Maonan carrier1 detailb.jpg
Maonan carrier1 detailb.jpg [ 50.12 KiB | Viewed 8796 times ]

Post subject: Maonann baby carriers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:51 pm 

Here is Maonan baby carrier #2

Attachments:
Maonan carrier2.jpg
Maonan carrier2.jpg [ 37.49 KiB | Viewed 8791 times ]
Maonan carrier2 detaila.jpg
Maonan carrier2 detaila.jpg [ 57.21 KiB | Viewed 8791 times ]
Maonan carrier2 detailb.jpg
Maonan carrier2 detailb.jpg [ 88.14 KiB | Viewed 8791 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Iain

Many thanks for adding these dramatic pieces and yes, please add some more Maonan pieces if you have them. I especially like the blue hued one (2). I am trying to tell from the photos - but my eyes seem to be playing tricks - whether the main dark shapes are created from stitches or applied cloth. Can you help? I can see that in (1) most of the design is created from embroidery stitches although there is some applied blue/grey fabric. In blue carrier that Steven photographed the designs are applied fabric (aside from the pieced section, of course.)

So good to get a collection of more illusive textiles together on a thread. Almost enough for a photogallery...?

thanks

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Embroidery/applique
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:20 pm 

Greetings Pamela
Maonan carrier 1 - apart from the applique blue/grey material, embroidery comprises the bulk of the detailing on this piece. A further applique detail may be seen in the loosely woven light green silk 'leaves' that appear in corners of each the 4 smaller panels (see Maonan carrier 1 detaila).

Maonan carrier 2 is done entirely in thick applique - at a distance it does look like embroidery as the work is incredibly well executed. There is also some basic running stitch used (see Maonan carrier2 detailb) used to outline some of the smaller sections and to depict a triangular motif on the uppermost section of this carrier.
Iain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 am 

I changed some information related to Pingtang on my website, but it seems I neglected to do the same on the forum here. The village of Kapu which the government claims to be Maonan, is felt by the Maonan of Huanjiang, Guangxi to be Buyi. A linguist who worked in both areas says the language of Kapu, Pingtang is much closer to Buyi than Maonan. Stylistically the pieces from Pingtang are more closely related to the Buyi (and perhaps Bailing Miao as Andrew stated earlier). They have no similarity to Maonan pieces from Huanjiang.
You can see the Maonan pieces I am speaking of on the Huanjiang section of my website, which were all photographed in the field and in the Guangxi "Colourful Costumes" baby carrier volumes. Pages 152- 165 all are Huanjiang Maonan, and encompass a wide range of styles.