tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:43 am 

Thank you, I am pleased to have stimulated some activity but do apologise for appearing rude, it was not my intention. It is also not my intention to stimulate interest in an Ebay sale, and I hope Sandie will confirm my response to her a couple days ago concerning this, also please note that I have removed 'Rare' and 'Antique' from the item title.
I have posted a couple more pictures of the pattern which has a tartan like appearance, please don't say it must be Scottish...LOL Further comments would be appreciated, and no doubt enjoyed, Thank you.

Attachments:
img_1286_291w.jpg
img_1286_291w.jpg [ 61.83 KiB | Viewed 7421 times ]
img_1288_198w.jpg
img_1288_198w.jpg [ 53.06 KiB | Viewed 7421 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Harley,

I still think that this is a 'western' and not a tribal textile. Could you give us the measurements?

The warp resist is relatively simple and, I think, technically could be achieved quite easily by someone who had not had the opportunity of many years of 'apprenticeship' as you would find in a tribal village situation but with an interest/training in traditional textile techniques. It would be about the first 'ikat' style resist that someone might attempt - and yet, when woven, is quite striking and satisfying.

Definitely not tartan! However, this balanced weave with stripes in the warp is one of the earliest styles of weaving traditions (and of learning to weave). In this case the 'tartan' effect is not by the addition of weft stripes to overlay the warp stripes and give squares of colour but by the resist of the warp threads. Setting up the warp so that the resist moves up a notch and then down a notch to give the squares would be pretty basic. I am not saying this in any pejorative sense but as a comment on technique.

Setting aside the Ikea jibe, I too think that the piece has a Scandinavian 'feel' about it. Might also be German. I used to be an active Quilter and it was so interesting to see the European quilts (modern) which were little influenced by 'folk' traditions as the US and UK quilts have been.

I am not aware of any active forum members based in northern Europe. Udo (Austria) is about as northern as we get. I can think of one Norwegian engineer but his expertise is in Filipino textiles.

You might want to go along to the Hali Textile & Tribal Art 2006 fair to be held from 9-18 June, Ground Floor, National Hall, Olympia in London. If you email or message me with your address I just might send you a free invite to the preview and exhibition as I have received a couple of them. You might see something similar or be able to get some help from exhibitors who are very international. There is a significant focus on carpets but there are also other textiles. http://193.129.254.186/Hali06/Main.nsf/ ... endocument

all the best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 am 

Hello Pamela, Thank you, It is 7 Foot long by 22 Inches wide, this is what also adds to it's presence on a wall hanging almost from floor to ceiling, The horizontal lines (warps ?) are also closer together every Inch and a half giving a line without any colour change.
I was wondering whether the white shapes have any significance and also I am curious that the pattern only has any order along this band the rest seems random with just two lonely vertical lines which relate. and that it is all offset to the right...maybe I am thinking to much about nothing, but it does seems that alot of intelligent thought has gone into making this, even the craftsmanship appears primative, Maybe that's the idea behind it..simply to make people wonder what's going on with it, It has always had an effect on me, it always looks great, photographs do not convey it well. thank you for your patience and kindness I will email you my address and am very interested thank you.

Post subject: Correction
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:36 am 

whoops....The vertical band in the design is to the left I have the photograph upside down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:50 am 

Hi Sandra,

even if already answered
LOL - laughing out loud

thats what i intended to say to the posting before.

Udo

ps. i never heard your´s before ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Harley

All your ideas about the hanging indicate western thought and not tribal thought endorsing the attribution.

Warp - runs lengthwise down a textile and these are the 'fixed' threads. Weft threads are those that are woven in and out of the warp threads. I remember it as going from 'left' to right (and right to left' = weft. The resist threads are warp and have been set up in the loom first in your hanging before the weft threads have been introduced. The weft threads (sometimes called 'woof', more in the USA I think) haven been beaten closer together at intervals and less tightly beaten in between.

Best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: regards...
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 pm 

Hi Pamela,

Good to hear that the Hali exhibit is next on the agenda. Please give my warm regards to John Gillow (I hope he remembers me!). I greatly enjoy my two Miao textiles I purchased when he was in San Francisco in February.

As for Harley, I am now TITT. A free "Beyond the Fringe" 2007 calendar to whomever guesses the meaning.

2006 had two very odd dragons with plaid faces and plaid cats-very Miao idiosyncratic. And my ferbile imagination is looking ahead to 2007!

Best to all,

Sandie :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:54 pm 

Hello Sandie,

I don't suppose you refer to Tom Titt who's contributions to aesthetic debate were satirical rather than serious so I am guessing that by 'TITT' you mean 'Throw in the trash' am I right?

LOL

Jerry (Harley)
Should I send you my address?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:57 pm 

Sorry gramma correction: 'Throwing' in the trash Thank you.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 am 

TITT is as noted but actually I am thinking you are far to polite for that,...you must mean 'throwing in the towel' surely....

Post subject: you win Harley
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:53 pm 

Way to go Harley! You win! Email me your address, and expect your calendar by Dec.

Sandie