tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:37 am 

Hello,
:?: Can you please help, I am selling an antique wall hanging on Ebay UK but know nothing about it...

The item number is: 7413679821

Thank you for any advice.
Kind Regards,
Jerry Clark.
jerry@jerry16.wanadoo.co.uk

Attachments:
hanging_001_162w.jpg
hanging_001_162w.jpg [ 31.91 KiB | Viewed 10248 times ]
hanging_003_211w.jpg
hanging_003_211w.jpg [ 57.36 KiB | Viewed 10248 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Jerry

To me this looks like a modern weaving and I cannot guess where it might have been woven. It does not look 'tribal' to me. It is an even, fairly open weave. The white looks as if it has been created by resist.

Perhaps other members can prove me wrong and make me eat my words!

best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 pm 

Pamela wrote:
Jerry

To me this looks like a modern weaving and I cannot guess where it might have been woven. It does not look 'tribal' to me. It is an even, fairly open weave. The white looks as if it has been created by resist.

Perhaps other members can prove me wrong and make me eat my words!

best wishes,

Hello Pamela,
Thank you..
How did they get just the white to resist and not the grey which runs through it or did they guess that the white dye resisted bits would all land in the same place? also I noted the quite definate variations in thread thickness like it wasn't spun by machine...do you think it is Indonesian?

I hope silence from other members signifies some pondering :D

I look forward to some interesting views...
Kind Regards,
Jerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 am 

This is a beautifully understated wall hanging, very minimalist, and very powerful, has great presence, It's about seven foot long and 22 inches wide, the close up photographs on Ebay uk item number 7413679821 should give someone with knowledge an indication of it's age and heritage. please study the colour, thread and weave pattern.

It is see through when there is nothing behind yet appears dense against a wall, the 'pole' ends of the hanging turn and are weaved back in for about 4" then there are variations in weave density about every inch and a half, it appears to me this hanging was designed to have light behind it or as a hanging screen.

At each end where the poles go through the material goes off at an angle of about 45 degrees this is not turned over and stitch it has been weaved in this shape...(see the photographs) this design adds power to the pole ends, indicating signifigant thought and meaning in the craftsmanship.

Also please note in the photographs the variation in thread thickness which I believe shows that this thread is not machine spun.

I have continued to research this item but without success so If anyone can advise further I would be grateful as I am not sure I should be selling it on Ebay, It was given to me as an item of great importance and value and I trust that information.

Attachments:
hanging_019_199w.jpg
hanging_019_199w.jpg [ 60.48 KiB | Viewed 10204 times ]
hanging_016_209w.jpg
hanging_016_209w.jpg [ 51.27 KiB | Viewed 10204 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:40 pm 

HELLO,
THIS SITE SEEMS INACTIVE.....IS THERE ANYONE USING IT ANYMORE?
I KEEP LOOKING BUT THE ONLY RESPONSE HAS BEEN FROM THE ADMIN.... SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE OF AN ACTIVE SITE...THANKYOU.
OR MAYBE POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF SOME TEXTILE EXPERTS.
REGARDS,
JERRY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:38 am 

hello jerry,

thats just your imagination that this site is inactive.

I would assume that no posts simply indicate that nobody knows any specific details what that piece is or might be.
My idea is that it´s not ethnic at all but rather some European weaving and therefore it would be simply not the proper place to ask for (no I don´t know any related forums regardign this area; just google)

cheers
udo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:29 am 

I agree with Udo and Pamela that this textile doesn't seem tribal. I would direct Harley to one of the contemporary weaving sites. I sympathize with Harley in the frustration that some undesignated textile is not readily accepted as the only known ritual cloth of Buddha, but alas the piece ends up being only a nice textile done in a class in a Berlin art school.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:47 am 

:mrgreen:
Hi Bill,

It's great to read your wise and witty remarks RE: this textile. I agree that it is contemporary, mainly because the color palette is very modern, and doesn't harken to any particular textile tradition I know of.

The only area I can think of would be the local regions from Chiang Mai and up, which are attempting to return to natural dying, but I simply can't imagine their using this particular color combo and the sloppy weaving.

It may be powerful to the seller, but I doubt anyone who knows about textiles would be interested in buying this, except at a very easy price. Also, having checked out the other items on ebay by this seller, I can't imagine how anyone would check this site for textiles.

Sandie

Post subject: it's not Indonesian
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm 

Hi Udo, Bill and Jerry/Harley,

I've reread the info on this thread, and Jerry has made some comments which haven't be answered, so...

1. Resist threads are dyed (or not) BEFORE being woven, not after weaving, so the fact that some threads are interwoven with dyed warp threads (warp threads go up and down; the weft goes right and left), easily explains this coloration. I'm assuming this cloth is cotton.

2. This textile is not Indonesian, nor from any Asian weaving tradition that I know of. If anything, it reminds me of stuff I've seen at IKEA.

May I suggest Jerry simply keep it. It clearly has sentimental value far beyond any amount he could get for this textile. Also check out Scandinavian web sites for more info.

Ciao,

Sandie 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:41 pm 

Sandie-

I think you are right in the Sandanavian attribution. I kept thinking of a "c"-student of Annie Albers or the Arts and Crafts movement, but Ikea that's the ticket.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:25 pm 

LOL

udo

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:54 pm 

Hi Udo,

LOL means "little old lady" in California, which I am. H&K means "hugs and kisses", which I occasionally send.

But what does LOL mean in the EU? And are any abbreviations from across the waters I can spread in the otherwise dull and boring SF bay area whence I live.

A few words to Jerry: I have never seen the hostility you generated on this Forum before. We're generally kind and goodnatured, and frankly we are all textile experts in our areas. But sometimes people don't check up on queries every day, and many times queries go unanswered because no one has the expertise to help.

We've all done the best for you we could for you.

Sandie :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:13 pm 

Laugh out Loud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:46 pm 

Hello All...I don't feel any hostility maybe a little patronising but that's okay, My quest was to discover information about this wall hanging, My Father gave it to me and I don't know why, maybe there's a joke in it somewhere.
I know so little about textiles but know that if you list an item on Ebay, people soon put you right if there are any inaccuracies and this Forum has been good, Thank you, though I am left feeling a little frustrated because I still have a feeling it is not european and that it is not modern, I know that will wind some of you up a little but 'Ikea' is not a good answer because if this is not rare then it should be easy to identify, unless of course it is simply a one off cottage craft thing.
I am grateful for your time and please forgive my ignorance but I guess some of you would feel like I do talking about motorbikes...LOL

Kind Regards,
Jerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Harley

Your father may have had the weaving just because he liked it - not because it was especially old or rare. He might even have been given it - either by the weaver or someone else. This would mean that he might well have felt he must keep it.

It is easy to use the words 'antique' or 'rare' but what do they mean in the context of a textile like this? Just because a textile may be a couple (or even a few more) decades old does not make it an antique.

Rarity? What is this? An individual artist making only a few pieces would make it rare in that there are few in the world. It does not necessarily make it rare in a the sense of highly sought after.

The weaving is quite attractive in its own way and could well decorate a particular place in a home/office/gallery very well. It has a cool and restrained feel about it. Let it stand on its own two feet as a decorative woven textile. A better photo of the overall textile might help as it looks very murky in your photo and the details, although clear, do not give a helpful indication of the impact of the piece.

The rudeness of one of your early posts made me angry but I decided at the time to ignore it (neither respond or delete) as I did not want to drag the forum down to that level. The membership of this forum have always tried their best to help those with a genuine interest in tribal textiles. As several of us have said, we do not feel that this is a tribal/ethnic piece and so it is outside our expertise. It might have been better if you had bothered to share some of the family background to the textile with us at the very beginning - rather than obviously making use of us to aid an Ebay sale. Berating the membership for not responding to something outside their expertise is not the way to generate a positive response. Still, the thread has raised a smile and it is very good to have Bill Hornaday back participating on the forum - Bill, you have been missed during your home upheavals.

I hope, Harley, that your textile finds a good home where it is appreciated. If you ever find out anything more about it please do share the knowledge with us. That is what this forum is about - sharing and learning.

Best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource