tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: the Borneo Project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:17 am 

Good to see your treasures again, John; your taste remains exquisite. And welcome Lorenzo. Your admitting that your basket was new saved me from reminding you that the lighter the reeds, the newer the basket. The two reasons are:

1. The newer baskets have not had the opportunity to develop that exquisite patina from use. Thus, you can always tell a product made for selling. and

2. The lighter the reeds, the newer bamboo that is used. As bamboo is cut earlier and earlier for commercial use, the reeds are usually whitish.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the non-profit BORNEO PROJECT, in Berkeley, CA.

The Borneo Project
1771 Alcatraz
Berkeley, CA 94704

(510) 547-4258

I spent some time last year advising them on their money making projects. I got the last of the older reed baskets; the others are ok, although woven, of course, with newer bamboo.

Their traditional bead work is still exquisite, and is priced accordingly. The one area of difficulty has been with the textiles made for commercial use. New colors, non-trditional patterns copied from magazines, produce textiles that do not sell well.

Remember: Support your local non-profit! Your expertise can change a money losing operation into one that can utilize indigenous skills to benefit indigenous people financially.

Your local know it all,

Post subject: baskets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 am 

Nice forum. I came across it while looking up Iban baskets on the Internet. Thought I'd snap a shot of a few Iban things my wife and I have................

Attachments:
File comment: basket
basket.jpg
basket.jpg [ 55.99 KiB | Viewed 9180 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Chris

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.

The basket on the left as one looks at the photo - is the top part above the beading a lid to the basket or is it a build up of the sides? I am 'reading' the photo as showing that it is a lid. Is it made of a material that is not bamboo of fibre? The designs seem to read as if they are positve and negative as a result of carving out the background to give relief for the the designs.

Saribas wedding baskets seem to have built up sides on top of the basket weave but do not have the incised designs or lits. (chapter on wedding baskets pps 167-176 in "Iban Baskets" by Jen-Francois Blehaut and published by the Sarawak Literary Society, ISBN 983 9115 03 0.) I can thoroughly recommend this book to all Iban basket addicts - very informative and beautiful photos.

On pages 104-107 some Iban baskets are shown with 'full cane rim' which has been incised or carved. None of the designs are quite like yours which looks more Kayan or Kelabit in design.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:24 pm 

Hi, Here's a detailed shot of the top of this basket. Kinda fun. The top part is bark and it's carved. I've got the "Iban Baskets" book. Picked it up in Kuching last month after spending a few weeks with the Kelabits - who you mentioned in your reply. Very nice people. If you give me an Email address I can send a short photo / descriptive Email of that part of Sarawak. Living in California, my wife and I have always admired the native baskets from this state. Unfortunately, they're way beyond our price range. In Sarawak, the Kelabits gave us a few things and some of the shops in Kuching were the source of Iban, Kenyah, Kayan, and Bidayuh wonders. The basket pictured is quite old. Stunning to hold.

Attachments:
pic2mail copy of IMG_5464.jpg
pic2mail copy of IMG_5464.jpg [ 52.31 KiB | Viewed 9167 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Chris

Very many thanks for the close up shot showing that it is not a cover to the basket. Have a look at an old thread and a favourite basket posted by Mark Johnson http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... ?p=856#856 which has an incised top. I don't think that I particularly noticed this at the time. Also a second one from Mark http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... ?p=881#881 both baskets that Mark purchased in the mid 1970s.

Sounds a good trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:05 am 

Thanks for the old thread. Very informative. The above beaded basket is my favorite. Below is my wife's. Square-bottomed and much heavier built. More ultilitarian. I love the detail.........

Attachments:
basket d.jpg
basket d.jpg [ 68.29 KiB | Viewed 9145 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

beautiful textures complementing and contrasting.....subtle and very satisfying design. My fingers itch to trace out the designs!

Post subject: baskets
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:17 pm 

Hi there,

We're all still looking for more great baskets. Come on, post some for your basket fans!

best wishes,

Sandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:10 pm 

I like those baskets as well ChrisD.

The staggered itching at the top is both fancy and functional. If the holes were all in a row, the rail would split eventually.

If you have more, how about posting them. I have several and will try to post them too.

-John

ChrisD wrote:
Thanks for the old thread. Very informative. The above beaded basket is my favorite. Below is my wife's. Square-bottomed and much heavier built. More ultilitarian. I love the detail.........

Post subject: Re: baskets
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:23 pm 

OK Sandra - for the basket fans I am posting a nice little American Indian Basket from the Maidu people of California. Ca 1920.

Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. Travels, writing, work, ...

-John

Quote:
"Sandra Shamis"Hi there,

We're all still looking for more great baskets. Come on, post some for your basket fans!

best wishes,

Sandie

Attachments:
File comment: Botom view of Maidu basket. The little "dash" mark may be the weavers signiture.
maidu bottom.jpg
maidu bottom.jpg [ 75.34 KiB | Viewed 8862 times ]
File comment: American Indian Basket. Maidu people of California. 4" x 8".
maidu basket.jpg
maidu basket.jpg [ 69.61 KiB | Viewed 8862 times ]

Post subject: some philippine´s
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 pm 

hello to all from icy cold and still snowy Austria

here is the first one from the Philippines.

So called hunter´s backbag with fibres at the back to cover the stored goods (and the hunter´s back) from rain...

some other real marvolous will follow (with better pictures as this one is a fast shot) as I truly adore this work. Baskets are really a great thing.

A very good book (but only phillipine north Luzon area covering is "Basketry of th Luzon Cordillera, UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History, 1998"

all the best
udo.gangl

Attachments:
hunterbagdet2.jpg
hunterbagdet2.jpg [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 8855 times ]
hunterbagtot.jpg
hunterbagtot.jpg [ 65.13 KiB | Viewed 8855 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Udo

That is a really SUPER basket! I have seen rain-capes in bast fibre but this is so very sophisticated! A joy indeed. Thanks so much.

Best wishes,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:50 pm 

The pretty up and down stitching that holds the rim to the basket is a nice example of "form follows function". If the holes were all in a row, the rim could eventually split along the row. I learned that the hard way.

How about posting more baskets?

ChrisD wrote: