tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Afghan purse
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:57 am 

Hi Everyone

this is my first post here. I've collected tribal textiles for a few years now, gradually picking them up here and there as I find them. Most of the textiles that have stuck to me have been Lao textiles or Burmese, with a smattering from other locations.

I recently bought an old purse, which the seller told me was from Afganistan. They had a bunch of other textiles from the same area. Some very elaborate with mirrors and beads. However, it was the purse whose pictures I have attached which really drew me, and I thought might intrest some others here.

Its very small in in size 7cm (3") x 11cm (4.5"). All the designs on it are embroidered in extremely fine stitch in cotton. On the side with the diamonds it looks like you'd need a magnifinying glass to do the work. The draw string at the top of the pouch has been lost as has two of the tassels, but I thought some of the people who visit here, might enjoy this.

Kathy

Attachments:
File comment: Detail of embroidery side B of purse
afgan4.jpg
afgan4.jpg [ 55.18 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]
File comment: Side B of purse
afgan3.jpg
afgan3.jpg [ 45.88 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]
File comment: Detail of embroidery on side A
afgan2.jpg
afgan2.jpg [ 45.73 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]
File comment: Side A of the purse
afgan1.jpg
afgan1.jpg [ 41.04 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]

Post subject: colours
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:25 am 

Hi, and welcome to the Tribal Textile Forum.

I've fallen in love with your wonderfully lively little purse. It certainly has immense visual appeal.

The use of chemical dyes in that region is not particularly widespread, which makes this bag a bit unique. I'm also wondering if at least sections of the purse are woven in supplementary warp or weft, rather then embroidered.

Sandie

Post subject: Re: colours
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:50 am 

Sandra Shamis wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the Tribal Textile Forum.

I've fallen in love with your wonderfully lively little purse. It certainly has immense visual appeal.

The use of chemical dyes in that region is not particularly widespread, which makes this bag a bit unique. I'm also wondering if at least sections of the purse are woven in supplementary warp or weft, rather then embroidered.

Sandie

When I bought this at a "decorators" shop of all places, they had other examples of these sorts of bags/purses, but this, in my opinion was the finest of the ones that they had for sale and reminds me in some ways of a minature persian kilm.

The work doesn't appear to be supplementry weft, but I'm pretty sure its embroidery, though the inside of the bag is lined with a fine floral cotton that reminds me of cottons you see in old quilts from the 20s and 30s which might give the some clue as to its age.

The bright colours alone are not proof that the dyes are chemical. I've been shocked by the flourescent colours I sometimes find in old asian textiles (especially from Korea) from the 19th and earlier centuries that you wouldn't believe existed before modern times.

Kathy