tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: motif.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:01 am 

Long time since I posted a message on the forum, but I was traveling and still looking for bast fibers textiles...
I recently purchased a japanese hemp cloth with katazome (stencil- dye technique) motif.
I am looking for informations about this motif. It came probably from ancient chinese motif and I identify it as clouds, but does than seen correct?

Attachments:
motif01.jpg
motif01.jpg [ 46.1 KiB | Viewed 4875 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:43 am 

this cloth is called kazuki and was not worn as a kimono but worn as a veil. The custom for women to hide their faces under veils seems well known in the Middle East. Historically, this was a common custom in countries ranging from the middle east all the way to japan. In Japan the tradition has been lost for nearly two centuries. This cloth was this veil that was used by japanese women to cover her face, when she went out of the household, by wearing it over her head. I have seen photographies of korean or mongolian women wearing veil also, and wondering if this tradition of veil was also a tradition in South East Asia?

Attachments:
kazuki2.jpg
kazuki2.jpg [ 34.72 KiB | Viewed 4870 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Olivier

Great to have you back on the forum! I was thinking about you recently when I was in Japan and wishing that I could consult you about some bast fiber Japanese textiles that I saw fleetingly in a street show of antiques and lots of textiles in Tokyo at the beginning of this month.

I don't see your design as clouds. I seem to see the end of a tail curled around in the centre of each motif.

I am very interested to learn of the veil custom amongst Japanese women. I don't have any good books on very old Japanese textiles only on the more usual ones that you see.

The only veils that I can think of at the moment in South East Asia is the wedding veil of the Yao.

Thanks for sharing your lovel textile with us. I hope that someone may be able to shed some light on the motif.

Very best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: veils
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:49 am 

Just a quick note on veils: Japanese women have always been very careful of their skin, and in much of Asia a sunburnt complextion is a sign of working in the fields, on par with not being able to get your feet into real shoes.

The veils are very different in purpose and construction from those worn by Muslim women.

If I remember correctly, widows in the old Austro-Hungarian empire wore veils for a time after their husband's death as a sign of mourning, until they were ready to remarry. Jeanette MacDonald where art thou?

Sandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:01 pm 

About the Kazuki (or japanese veil) I have found few informations in a japanese book. The Kazuki had the shape of a kimono, but the style was modified and often with a lower collar especially in the front to cover the face. Women used the kazuki not only for the sake of courtesy, but also as a cover in harsh weather.From end of Muromashi period (1392-1568) the custom of using Kazuki departed from the common people's lifestyle and was used only as ceremonial hood- type garment.
In an american book,"beyond the Tanabata Bridge" pub.Thames and hudson I have also found "kazuki were worn like a veil draped over the head to conceal the woman's face during escursions. Not only providing protection from the sun and rain, to wear this concealing garment was also regarded as proper etiquette for women". I join you also two pictures of korean women veiled, from the begining of XXc.

Attachments:
kang11_women_hood2.jpg
kang11_women_hood2.jpg [ 47.13 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]