tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Batik
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:40 pm 

I just recieved this batik from an associate. Both of us have little or no knowledge of these pieces. We assume it is javanese. But is it an authentic sarong style for local use or a tourist piece from the 70's?
I find it appealing in design and color. I love anything indigo, but the detail work is rather crude. The fabric is very fine and light weight. It appears to have age. Some slight tearing in a few spots on the edge like other old batiks i've seen. Also has some staining that is consistant with use and age. Along with the indigo base color the details are outlined faintly in beige. 73" X 41".
I would greatly appreciate any comments or info anyone would be kind enough to offer.
Phil Bloch
Tygh Valley, Oregon
USA

Attachments:
batikindigoterrygalleryinha.jpg
batikindigoterrygalleryinha.jpg [ 57.87 KiB | Viewed 4400 times ]
batikindigoterrygalleryw.jpg
batikindigoterrygalleryw.jpg [ 58.58 KiB | Viewed 4400 times ]
batikindigoterrygallery2005sep30-detailcenter_194.jpeg
batikindigoterrygallery2005sep30-detailcenter_194.jpeg [ 25.93 KiB | Viewed 4400 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Phil

I am not an expert enough on the Indonesian batik to be able to give you much help. Even if it is a tourist piece the shadow puppets are very striking and appealing. I agree with you on being attracted to indigo although I do not tend to think of it as as being 'traditional' indonesian batik in this solid blue format.

I hope that one or two of our forum members with more expertise can comment when they next check the forum.

best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 am 

Phil-
A very interesting piece indeed! I am certainly no expert in batik or wayang, but there are some basics I can share: starting with the "tree" in the center, also known as 'kayon' or 'gunungan', it represents both the tree of life and cosmic mountain, hence the unusual shape- it is used at the beginning, end, and during intervals of a shadow puppet play (photos below); the figures on either side of the tree are shadow puppet figures, or 'wayang', and the ones on the left are the bad guys, with the good guys on the right. I'm not sure who the individul ones are on your textile, but I think they are nicely rendered and well-detailed, much like a 'wayang kulit' (shadow puppet made of perforated buffalo hide).

The use of this textile could well be as a wall hanging, tho I cannot find anything in my books that is similar. Wall hangings were used by the Chinese/Javanese on altars for ancestors, and for Islamic ceremonies, tho these cloths typically had designs of Chinese origin for the former and Arabic calligraphic designs for the latter. Surprisingly however, the human form as represented by the wayang may not be particularly un-Islamic: Robyn Maxwell, in her Textiles of Southeast Asia, says that:
Quote:
The human form has maintained an ambiguous position as a textile motif in several parts of Islamic Southeast Asia. On the batiks from the courts of central Java and Cirebon, where Islam has merged with Hindu Buddhism and older Javanese cultural values, the only recognizable anthropomorphic images are those two-dimensional figures based upon the wayang shadow-puppet characters.
Then again, it could have been for the tourist market, hence the simple coloration, perhaps.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Attachments:
File comment: Shadow puppet show in Yogyakarta
Mail-Wayang1.jpg
Mail-Wayang1.jpg [ 72.02 KiB | Viewed 4334 times ]
File comment: Shadow puppet show in Yogyakarta
Mail-Wayang2.jpg
Mail-Wayang2.jpg [ 81.36 KiB | Viewed 4334 times ]

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/