tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Just as a postcript as to the usage of these textiles, on my recent trip to Chiang Mai I was constantly told that these textiles were used in pairs as door curtains and one lady with a pair would not sell one piece as she felt that the two curtains should stay together. See a detail of the discontinuous supplementary weft end piece of one of these curtains in the first photo below.

A rather nice story attached to some, at least, of the curtains, is that they are used at the time of a wedding to close off the bridal chamber and the bridegroom must pay to enter through the curtains.

To see a fine pair of curtains (which appear to be sewn together in this photo) woven quite recently, but in the traditional style, in Laos see the photo below. The warp threads would be natural coloured silk but the red end of the warp would be dipped into a red dye. You can see in the right curtain facing the camera that there is a slight 'bleed' of the red dye, also in the detail of the first curtain below and it is very obvious in the middle curtain of the preceeding post of 3 curtains. Traditionally the dark thread would be indigo dyed cotton with the design woven as a supplementary weft. The red end piece would be woven with red silk and discontinous supplementary weft coloured silks to create the pattern.

Just in case you had not already realised it by now, I am very, very attracted to this style of textile!!

Attachments:
File comment: One of a pair of woven curtains
IMGP1115_.jpg
IMGP1115_.jpg [ 58.26 KiB | Viewed 3905 times ]
File comment: Pair of door curtains woven recently in Laos in the traditional Sam Nuea style
IMGP1137_.jpg
IMGP1137_.jpg [ 52.25 KiB | Viewed 3907 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:58 pm 

Hi Pamela,
Thought I'd share my favorite indigo blanket panel from my collection. An old key pattern from Xieng Kuang prov. in Lao. Not fancy but has nice natural touches. The red zone dye had bled into the indigo pattern but has faded out nicely with age. I have more styles to share if your interested.
Also added a photo of a TaiJay dragon blanket from the Viet border region that I like. It is a combination of the lao nak and the chinese dragon. Some have little feet and more recognizable dragon heads than this piece.
Phil

Attachments:
dragontaijay907z1_.jpg
dragontaijay907z1_.jpg [ 62.07 KiB | Viewed 3852 times ]
indigoxiengkuangoldkey-deta.jpg
indigoxiengkuangoldkey-deta.jpg [ 67.42 KiB | Viewed 3852 times ]
indigoxiengkuangoldkey_.jpg
indigoxiengkuangoldkey_.jpg [ 59.73 KiB | Viewed 3852 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Phil.

Welcome to the forum! Very pleased that you have joined us

Very many thanks for sharing both your curtain - these curtains really are very satisfying and I like the complex key pattern on the one you have shown - and also the blanket. What look to me rather like chickens are rather appealing on this latter textile - but they are probably something more exhotic! Nice to see the full length of the door curtain - and without converging verticals!

Can I just draw your attention to 'Posting photos with messages - Forum protocol.' http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=178 I have reduced the file size of your photos. I know it is tempting to try and get the highest quality image to show but for those of us without a fast link to the internet the large files can cause download problems. Sorry to nag... and I most certainly do not want to discourage people from posting since it is very much the core of this forum.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource