tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Naga "Elephant" Cloth
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:03 am 

We are all seeing some interesting offerings these days. I'm curious to see how long this "window of opportunity" will last. There are many reports of numerous Naga pieces entering the market as a result of Jacob's recent book. Some no doubt are recent production in response to demand but I believe there is still a opportunity for honest aquisitions. This is one that recently came my way via a trader in India and I thought you might enjoy seeing it. It is 175cm x 112 cm, cotton. Sometimes refered to as a "Feast of Merit Status Shawl" worn by the southern Nagas of Manipur. As with most of my collection, I am uncertain of the age. Based on the wear and fading, I assume that this was used over a period of time and would guess mid to late 20th century. Is anyone else seeing similar offerings? Best regards, Richard

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rgmook@pr ... /my_photos

originally posted 1 Jun 03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:13 am 

HI Richard,I do not have much information on you Naga cloth, but I have seen them before. They have been identified to me as coming from the Tangkhul Naga. I visited one of their villages this last January and I have a photo of a man wearing one on my website (it is folded into a sash over his shoulder and not obvious). You can go to www.markajohnson.com, then to the travelogue link and then to travelogue #6 (on the Naga) http://www.markajohnson.com/Asiat06.html and check out photo #45. Regards,

http://www.markajohnson.com
Mark A. Johnson Tribal Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:13 am 

Thank you Mark. Your site and travelogue pictures are fantastic and a pleasant diversion while my status remains as an arm chair adventurer. I'm looking forward to visiting the Naga sometime in the future. Keep up the good work and best regards, Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:47 pm 

Dear Richard,

you are fairly just with your judgement on the age of the elephant cloth. It is a very good piece. These cloths have a very interesting story. They were originally give to favorable Naga warriors by the Raja of Manipur, if they helped him in defending their country. Nowadays there is only one homestead left in Manipur (Imphal) where these cloths originally called Shaphi Lanphi are still produced. However, especially the Chakhesang - formerly Eastern Angami - have picked up the production and now claim the cloth as part of their cultural identity. Please refer to our book "The Hidden World of the Naga" (Prestel 2003) for more info, a contemporary picture, the "whole story" and much more on Naga textiles.

Your other pieces (2) are Angami and Khiamniungan or Chang - both have these cowrie-cloths.

Regards

Peter van Ham
http://www.stirn-vanham.com

Post subject: Elephant cloth 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:49 pm 

Another thing: Our book "The Seven Sisters of India" (Prestel 2000) also contains info and pix of this and other tribal cloths.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:13 pm 

Thank you for the information Peter. I look forward to reading your book. Best, Richard

Post subject: I am a Naga!!1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 pm 

Hello
I am surprised by the fact that people are talking about my people and our textiles, well very informative. I am a Tangkhul woman and I came upon this website by mistake but I can't help it but join the crowd. The Shawl you are talking about is a very rare shawl which is available in it's original form shape and design. Only Three peice are left in this world and one happen to be with one of you, You are very much lucky indeed. The shawl's story is that it is worn only by man and they should be brave warior who should proved it. This particular shawl should be made by the Meitei alone but Meiteis cannot wear it. It is worns only by the Tangkhul Naga. Yes there are other community who wear it too. But the correct story is that it is worn only by brave warior from Tangkhuls No one else. Please feel free to asked me question.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the shawl you are talking about isn't not?
Chakhesang couples.jpg
Chakhesang couples.jpg [ 26.2 KiB | Viewed 10003 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the tribaltextiles.info forum - you are very welcome indeed - thank you for joining. I know that several of our members are very interested in the Naga and your textiles. Thank you for sharing information on your textiles with us.

best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:17 am 

Hi everyone and especially Richard,

don´t know why but I´m unable to go to the link from Richard - directs my to the yahoo page where I should login (what I did) but then came to the startpage of my yahoo but definately not showing any pictures of this Elephant textile...

I´d really love to see it as I had some 3 pieces in the past (various age) and I´m always interested to see Naga pieces.

Question to all Naga lovers/interests:
I always wondering why there is only a very limited amount of Naga textiles types appearing on the market (I´m talking about old ones and not newly made ones); the only types I could get hold of where
- asukeda pi (blue textiles with cowrie circles)
- white textiles with supplementary weft patterns (graphical squares)
- plain textiles with hornet heads attached
- blue/red striped ones with varios rows of glass beads
- Elephant textiles

can´t remember now of any else I had but if you look through the Jacobs book, Fürer-Haimendorf had collected quite a bunch of different ones as well (not to mention the one showed on the cover of the book) but it seems that these never appeared on the market ?!
Are there any other pieces some of you had ?
Did anyone see other types on the market ?

Somehow this seems quite strange to me that there are so many Naga pieces around but so few different textiles.

all the best from springy Austria
udo.gangl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:43 am 

Here is a new link to some of the Naga textiles I have in my collection.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rgmook@pr ... /my_photos

Best to all,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:26 pm 

Here are some pictures

Attachments:
2226.jpg
2226.jpg [ 29.54 KiB | Viewed 9962 times ]
f359.jpg
f359.jpg [ 43.95 KiB | Viewed 9962 times ]
e383.jpg
e383.jpg [ 36.47 KiB | Viewed 9962 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:19 pm 

Well very few Naga textile are available in the market or website as Nagas themselves are shy people and they are prevented from expossing to the world by the Government of India as well. If you will read the book of Forbidden Land then you will understand how hard it is for a foreigner to enter this areas even the Indian themselves were restricted. well I can share some picture too. And for your knowledge there are 66 tribes of Nagas living in Assam, Arunachal, Manipur, Nagaland states of India and Burma.

Attachments:
File comment: Chakhesang Naga man's Shawl
chakesang man's shawl.jpg
chakesang man's shawl.jpg [ 26.09 KiB | Viewed 9952 times ]
File comment: Modern Wears of Nagas. Tangkhul girl in Phangyei Sarong.
520a.jpg
520a.jpg [ 7.38 KiB | Viewed 9952 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:33 pm 

Goshhh!!!!!!! The Shawl you got is for the best and kings' (Chief's) family property. It might be most probably king of Ukhrul or Phungcham. You are lucky. Marak is the strip which has seven. five peices are for warior but to those who are lower rank in the society.