tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: More Dong headcloths
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Following on from my earlier post today re Dong women's woven headcloths I am posting a few more photos of headcloths based on my recent trip to Guizhou.

The headcloths featured in this post were found in the Dong village of Da Li in Zai Ma township, Rongjian county. The village is about 25 km from the town of Rongjiang. It has five covered bridges fanning out like a flower over a stream flowing through the village. The oldest bridge was build in the Qing dynasty. There are about 100 households in the village with over 1,000 people (as recorded in the 2000 census). The village drum tower - normally the focal point of a Dong village - is currently being rebuilt after the previous one was destroyed by fire.

We found headcloths in the village which were woven (with continuous supplementary weft), embroidered (especially lovely little squares with 'black work' for the babies where the hat is worn around the head over the square of embroidery and leaving a hole for the embroidery to show - I have a lovely example which I will post in due course) and cloths with both supplementary weft, embroidery and, in one case with macrame style knotted fringes at both ends. See the photos of the baskets of textiles on display.

I think that the headcloths may be used by both men and women in certain circumstances - or this may have been the case in the past. I bought two headcloths and one of these clearly has fold marks down the lengthwise/warp of the cloth. This suggests to me that it was once folded into a relatively narrow band and then worn – probably by a man tied around this forehead. We saw men wearing this style of folded cloth throughout the Rongjiang and Congjiang region by both Dong and Miao. I took a photo of a headcloth being worn by a woman - see the photo below of the intent 'audience' as we negotiated our textile purchases in the open area in front of the drum tower. I think that this was the only woven headcloth that I saw being worn in the villages – certainly in my photos. I saw a towelling cloth being worn folded into a band and worn by a man on back/top of his head.

Attachments:
File comment: woven headcloth in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005
IMGP4613w.jpg
IMGP4613w.jpg [ 62.52 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: Detail of a woven headcloth in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005
IMGP4618w.jpg
IMGP4618w.jpg [ 58.52 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: woven headcloth in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005. It has fold marks suggesting it was worn folded into a narrow band.
IMGP4622w.jpg
IMGP4622w.jpg [ 59.72 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: Detail of a woven headcloth in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005 - possibly the older of the two headcloths. It has fold marks suggesting it was worn folded into a narrow band.
IMGP4624w.jpg
IMGP4624w.jpg [ 67.9 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: woman wearing a woven headcloth in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005
IMGP3362w.jpg
IMGP3362w.jpg [ 52.59 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: woven and embroidered cloths in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005
IMGP3371w.jpg
IMGP3371w.jpg [ 58.23 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]
File comment: woven and embroidered cloths in the Dong village of Da Li, Zai Ma township, Rongjian county, Guizhou province May 2005
IMGP3353w.jpg
IMGP3353w.jpg [ 53.02 KiB | Viewed 3901 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:53 pm 

Pamela-

Maybe it's faulty memory, but these Dong headcloths seem very similar to textiles I have seen from the Shans. Maybe it's because of the similarity as these paterns to those of some of the Tai groups. Just a comment based upon old memories.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Bill

Some of the similarities may related to the weaving technique but, as you may be aware, both the Dong and the Tai are part of the three Daic ethnolinguistic groups: Kam-Sui (which includes the Dong and Shui in China), Kadai and Tai.

Pamela

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource