tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: new ID help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 am 

Each week end gives new pieces from my inventory.

first a cotton square indigo dyed with batik decoration . made of two pieces 88x84 cm (2x44x84)

second a piece that seems to be piece of a scarf or a belt or a loincloth... Quite old and used. Seems to me from East asia (Birman ?) 75x16 cm suplementary wefts (the back of the piece is black but corrugated where there are color threads)

third, a curious scarf, made with supplementary wefts (maybe silk) : the geometric design is near of a classic turkmen design named hashgul 146x41 cm

fourth, a curious bag. All cotton, design made both by embroidery and by kilim technic, coloured tassels. The hooked medalion design is a classical one of tribal rugs and kilims of persia and anatolia. It could be an european work under turkish influence (bulgaria????) The piece is made like a scarf (warp faced weaving) and is tranformed into a bag by sewing the two coloured ends and combining fringe tassels. 50x17 cm

Attachments:
batik indigodetail01R.jpg
batik indigodetail01R.jpg [ 308.35 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
batik indigoR.jpg
batik indigoR.jpg [ 174.66 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
piece birmanieR.jpg
piece birmanieR.jpg [ 93.72 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
piece birmaniedétail01R.jpg
piece birmaniedétail01R.jpg [ 194.16 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
echarpekutchR.jpg
echarpekutchR.jpg [ 159.26 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
echarpekutchdetail03R.jpg
echarpekutchdetail03R.jpg [ 318.46 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
sacinconnu02R.jpg
sacinconnu02R.jpg [ 160.71 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]
sacinconnudetail01R.jpg
sacinconnudetail01R.jpg [ 247.27 KiB | Viewed 4123 times ]

Post subject: Re: new ID help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:18 pm 

Hi Louis. Your first piece is an old batik baby blanket by the Xia Raojia of Majiang County in Guizhou. I haven’t got a closely similar one but various details are typical of the Raojia; the trees growing on the mountains around the border, the use of the long life “shou” character, the style of the bird patterns, the flower and plant patterns and the pairs of fish. Below are some poor quality scans that give a vague idea of what I mean.

Attachments:
File comment: Xia Raojia batik baby blanket
Xia Raojia batik baby blanket 1b.jpg
Xia Raojia batik baby blanket 1b.jpg [ 161.54 KiB | Viewed 4104 times ]
File comment: Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 1
Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 1b.jpg
Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 1b.jpg [ 188.99 KiB | Viewed 4104 times ]
File comment: Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 2 detail
Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 2b detail.jpg
Xia Raojia batik quilt cover 2b detail.jpg [ 75.32 KiB | Viewed 4104 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:28 pm 

Duddley

thank you for your help.
I thought that piece was from vienam, but I was not sure....and in fact I was wrong
When you describe the chinese character "shou" I suppose this is what looks like a chinese character in the design (see closeup)....

Cordialement

louis

Attachments:
batik dérail r.JPG
batik dérail r.JPG [ 176.12 KiB | Viewed 4101 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm 

Andrew,

I have seen the interesting post which you took part about Xia Raojia children jackets on this forum. Very interesting art and craftmanship of the batik makers. Designs of this group are very astonishing. The little jackets are very beautiful. One understand that those peoples are very found of their child : their clothes are wonderfull and it is likely that the design had prophylactic meanings or powers (protection against the evil, we can imagine)
I think that in my cloth the pale blue of the design is made by over dying the cloth in a second indigo bath.

Cordialement

Louis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 am 

Yes, that is the “shou” character. And yes, Raojia batik is often of a very high quality considering they used a mixture of tree resin and ox fat as their resist, which can be very hard to work, especially as they only used shaped bamboo tools to apply the resist (see photos at end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=920&hilit=rao+jia+baby+carriers&start=15 )

Yes, your baby blanket would have been over dyed at the end of the production process. I’m not sure whether over dying has any specific meaning. Certainly children were very precious and many items relating to children have patterns designed to ward off evil spirits, such as tigers and dragons as well as those patterns designed to bestow good fortune for the future, such as money, power, children, beauty etc.

The Raojia child’s jacket1 below has batik depicting the “wan” (swastika) pattern in various different forms, both positive (blue) and negative (white). This character means 10,000 and is usually associated with the blessing of 10,000 happinesses, and jacket 2 has a different version of the long life “shou” character.

See also the below thread for Raojia children’s jackets:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1186&hilit=rao+jia+jacket

Attachments:
File comment: Xia Raojia child's jacket with "wan" character
Xia Raojia child's jacket 1a.jpg
Xia Raojia child's jacket 1a.jpg [ 176.6 KiB | Viewed 4087 times ]
File comment: Xia Raojia child's jacket with "wan" character detail
Xia Raojia child's jacket 1c.jpg
Xia Raojia child's jacket 1c.jpg [ 132.4 KiB | Viewed 4087 times ]
File comment: Xia Raojia child's jacket with "shou" character
Xia Raojia child's jacket 2a.jpg
Xia Raojia child's jacket 2a.jpg [ 122.62 KiB | Viewed 4087 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew

Good to see you back on the forum and to be reminded of the very special Rao Jia wax resist. I gave myself a lovely indulgent time yesterday following the link you included to the earlier post with your examples and explanation on the children's jackets. It is easy to forget just how interesting and fine their wax resist is. Somehow, framing in the vests, brings the designs very much to the fore. Thanks very much!

I am posting a few photos of what I think is a Rao Jia babycarrier said to be from Majiang. It was sold as 'stencil' and, indeed, parts of it look that way. There is a band of very fine embroidery along the top and at the sides of the top (the latter aping weaving?)

Attachments:
File comment: Rao Jia babycarrier said to be stencil and from Majiang
P1010503w.jpg
P1010503w.jpg [ 105.18 KiB | Viewed 4061 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia babycarrier detail
P1010505w.jpg
P1010505w.jpg [ 136.13 KiB | Viewed 4061 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia babycarrier showing embroidery detail
P1010506w.jpg
P1010506w.jpg [ 119.76 KiB | Viewed 4062 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 am 

Hi Pamela. Your piece of baby carrier looks to be from the Huishui Miao. In the Taiwan book: “The Rhythms of Blue” page 114 you’ll see something similar, although it is a batik version not stencilled paste resist version. Below are a couple that I have squirrelled away over the years. We have seen a few Huishui quilt covers on the forum that look to be stencilled similar to below.

Attachments:
File comment: Huishui baby carrier 4a
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-4a.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-4a.jpg [ 91.06 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Huishui baby carrier 4b
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-4b.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-4b.jpg [ 124.79 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Huishui baby carrier 6a
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-6a.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-6a.jpg [ 100.07 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Huishui baby carrier 6b
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-6b.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-6b.jpg [ 127.75 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Huishui Miao baby carrier 7c
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-7c.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Baby-Carrier-7c.jpg [ 103.46 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am 

A Huishui quilt cover.

Attachments:
File comment: Huishui quilt cover 27a
Huishui-Miao-Quilt-Cover-27b.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Quilt-Cover-27b.jpg [ 152.72 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Huishui quilt cover 27b
Huishui-Miao-Quilt-Cover-27d.jpg
Huishui-Miao-Quilt-Cover-27d.jpg [ 203.26 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Andrew

The structure, especially the shape, the top edging of embroidery and the top/side embroidery all seem so similar on your babycarriers to mine that they must be from a closely associated group albeit that yours have fine drawn wax resist and mine has had the resist applied via a stencil - at least in part.

In 2001 on a trip with Gina Corrigan we visited a couple of Huishui Miao villages. In neither did we see similar baby carriers and, indeed, I cannot find resist in any of my photos. However, on the same trip we went further south to Pintang County. It was very much Guizhou weather - pouring with rain! - and we had to give up visiting some villages. However, in Xin Tang township and outside Bai Zhan village we found Miao who used some very crude resist on the head flap to their babycarriers and for headscarfs for men. What was interesting was that the villagers showed us a sort of wooden comb with blunt 'spokes' and said it was used when applying resist and demonstrated on a man's headscarf. This produced lines of what can only be called 'blobs'. On the Huishui babycarriers you show, on mine and on the bed cover there are some smaller spots/blobs. I think they may have been applied by a similar, finer 'comb'. See photos below. Not a 'spot on' (sorry :)) reference but interesting to me at least, as we wondered at the time about this 'resist comb'!

Attachments:
File comment: Demonstrating use of resist implement outside Bai Zhan village, Xin Tang township, Pingtang county
0111B24w.jpg
0111B24w.jpg [ 78.01 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]
File comment: Man wearing headscarf outside Bai Zhan village, Xin Tang township, Pingtang county
0111B13w.jpg
0111B13w.jpg [ 174.82 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]
File comment: Miao babycarrier in Xin Tang township, Pingtang county, Guizhou province
0111A22w.jpg
0111A22w.jpg [ 142.75 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]
File comment: Miao babycarrier in Xin Tang township, Pingtang county, Guizhou province
0111A20w.jpg
0111A20w.jpg [ 152.16 KiB | Viewed 4036 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

To continue the line of thought about the implements used to create dots and blobs in wax resist in S W China I am sharing a photo which Martin Conlan sent me (from a website which allows downloads) of a Bouyei woman in the village of Shitou (in Huanggousu township, Zhen Nin county, Guizhou province) using a very nifty implement to create wax resist dots. I particularly like it - thank you Martin!

See an image which I took in 2000 when I visited Shitou of an old lady holding a bundle of textiles showing resulting dots when the textile has been dyed in indigo: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Gallerie ... u/SE15.htm If you click on that image you will see various other images from the village.

In the image of the wax application the wax looks very blue on the undyed textile because it being reused having been previously applied and then removed by heating picking up some blueness from the indigo dye in the process. In dyeing, of course, the positive in this image will turn into a negative as shown in the village photo.

Attachments:
File comment: Bouyei woman in Shitou village applying wax dots
Bouyei-dot.jpg
Bouyei-dot.jpg [ 59.68 KiB | Viewed 4020 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 am 

This last photo is wonderful! I love the ingenuity displayed in this little tool! So simple, yet it achieves so much by perfectly forming and placing the dots with so little effort.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Susan

I agree! Isn't the tool wonderful? If you came across it by itself you would find it pretty difficult to guess what it was used for!