Bailing-Miao-quilt-cover-320.2.jpg
Bailing-Miao-quilt-cover-320.2.jpg [ 65.14 KiB | Viewed 9513 times ]
Bailing-Miao-quilt-cover-321.1.jpg
Bailing-Miao-quilt-cover-321.1.jpg [ 62.99 KiB | Viewed 9513 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Andrew

Thank you so very much for posting this group of splendid Bailing Miao wax resist covers. For me these demonstrate not only technical excellence in drawing in wax (as if that is not enough!) but also artistic and creative talents within the designs of the Bailing culture. Looking through them I find it fascinating to see that so many of them are balanced and, at first sight, you would thing that it is a mirror repeat of designs - but so often it is not. That is where the skill/creative ability really comes into play.

I have been reading 'Iban Ritual Textiles' by Traude Gavin. In Chapter VII under 'Weavers as technicians' she is discussing the interrelation between technique and design against the background of her discussion of whether the designs are symbolic or decorative. I was particularly taken by her references to Alois Riegl ('Problems of style: Foundations for a history of ornament' 1992:65, 137, 215) who
Quote:
"saw the desire to fill all available space with decorative patterns, or horror vacui, as indicative of an aesthetic that is mainly preoccupied with decorative concerns. For antique ornament, Riegl (1992:65 Note 25) showed convincingly that the postulate of horror vacui represents a widely shared, aesthetic perception."
Looking at these Bailing Miao bedcovers I feel that horror vacui is strongly at work! How about 308?

Can you tell us anything about the background of the textiles? Any rough estimates of age? I see that 306 is made from 3 strips of cloth. Is this the oldest and hand woven? Are the others on machine woven cloth? Is this too simplistic? It is interesting that some are very whimsical and others are more formal. 308 seems very formal and yet when you look at it closely there is considerable variation and creativity of design hidden in the closely waxed designs. 286 and 293 show an amazing free-hand talent with the wax knife. It would be pretty amazing with pencil or paint!

In a way many of them are giant doodles - I only wish that my doodles came anywhere near to the quality of these!

Thank you very, very much for sharing these with us and taking the time and trouble to present them on the forum.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:18 am 

Pamela

Unfortunately, I have very little info. about these covers, as my dealer friends are no longer the ones going into the countryside to collect for themselves (there being so few quality pieces left that it is no longer worth their time or expense). Now, they have to buy from original buyers whose full-time job is collecting from the countryside and who consider asking questions about pieces to be a pointless waste of time (they won’t even tell the source place names for fear of others going back to see if there is anything else worth buying). Unfortunately, this means there is rarely any reliable information being provided with recently collected pieces.

Anyways, all of these covers are on hand woven cloth, which is no indicator of age since many Miao groups are still producing “tubu” cloth.

Quilt covers made of 3 lengths of cloth, such as number 306, are not very common. This is not just because they take more time and cloth to make, but also because bigger covers require considerably more (expensive) cotton padding to fill them and anyway, most local beds are too small to require such a large cover. A larger quilt cover would therefore be seen as the unnecessary extravagance of a wealthy family.

3 piece quilt covers like 306 generally come from Sandu County and apparently have been produced for years. This one, so it was claimed, is over 70 years old (which I doubt), although it is impossible to say for sure. It looks far more impressive in real life than in the photo (whereas others look better in photo form). Also, in the 1950s (?) some women from wealthier families in Sandu County also started producing batiked bottom bed sheets, an even greater extravagance considering how quickly they would have worn out, that would have been used to decorate the marriage bed or kept for important guests (if I ever get my scanner working again, I’ll post a couple of examples).

The “quilt covers” that look quite formal in design, ie. 301 and 308, would have been made as coffin covers, which explains why this type are often in such good condition, having been used perhaps only the once (certainly very few times).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:04 am 

Dear all,

I have recently received this quilt cover that was made by my Bailing Miao friend’s sister-in-law (seen waxing earlier in this thread). She is considered to be very good at batik and I feel this cover is testament to her skills. She made this cover for a friend of mine who wanted it to hang on the wall in her new home. It is made using hand woven cloth with the patterns done completely free-hand, and dyed using traditional indigo dye (rather than easier and quicker chemical dyes) and it took about one month to complete.

She has asked whether I know of anyone who would be interested in buying batik items such as this as she would like to set up a small workshop in her village to produce “traditional” batik pieces and allow the women to earn a little cash from maintaining their cultural identity.

If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Attachments:
File comment: A traditional Bailing Miao quilt cover made in 2006
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg [ 65.24 KiB | Viewed 9248 times ]
IMG_2845.jpg
IMG_2845.jpg [ 64.8 KiB | Viewed 9248 times ]
File comment: Detail
IMG_2847.2.jpg
IMG_2847.2.jpg [ 62.72 KiB | Viewed 9248 times ]
File comment: 44 year old weaver and batiker
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg [ 61.9 KiB | Viewed 9248 times ]
File comment: Bailing Miao village
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg [ 62.83 KiB | Viewed 9248 times ]

Last edited by Andrew Dudley on Thu May 10, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 am 

Continued

Attachments:
File comment: Her village of traditional wooden houses surrounded by mountaints and rice terraces
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg [ 67.8 KiB | Viewed 9239 times ]
File comment: Weaving
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg [ 65.15 KiB | Viewed 9240 times ]
File comment: Weaving traditional diamond twill cloth
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg [ 65.83 KiB | Viewed 9240 times ]
File comment: Doing the batik for a coffin cover
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg [ 61.08 KiB | Viewed 9240 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Andrew

These are fantastic photos and they clearly fit in with the rest of this post. It is excellent to see that such fine quality work is still being done and by a woman 'only' in her forties. I certainly support her idea of a workshop (and will, as requested, contact you separately). If she can help to keep the skill alive that it great - especially if it can be at this quality level. As you know, I wax lyrical about these covers, especially the 'freestyle' ones as there is not only the high level of waxing skill that is needed but so much more. The drawing skills and ability to create such balanced yet lively designs AND to control the wax! Oh, there is the dyeing as well, of course. Your photos also illustrate the difference between these and the formal ones used for a coffin cover.

I think I will do a note for the 'Shopping...' forum with a link to the start of this section of your posts as, without all the other Bailing Miao material on this thread it would really fit there. I would like to be able to copy these particular posts on this part of the topic to that forum but the software on the forum is not flexible enough to allow this and I do not want to split it off from the rest of the thread as I feel the photos and info very much enhance what has gone before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

On page 2 of this thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... c&start=15 there are a series of photos of drums used by the Miao and the Shui. Ann Goodman has been reading through the threads on the forum and was stuck by the similarity between the central motifs on the drums and the Yao "celestial crown" that the young women make. She has sent me a beautiful image of such a crown and yes, what a similarity. I confess that I have never seen one of the crowns before. Stunning!

See thread http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1258 for more information about Yao "celestial crowns."

Attachments:
File comment: Yao "celestial crown"
YaoW.jpg
YaoW.jpg [ 63.81 KiB | Viewed 8668 times ]

Post subject: Frog drum details
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 am 

Earlier in this thread (page 2) there were a number of drum details relating to wax resist designs - for the sake of comparison here are a few details from a very large 'frog drum' - there are four small frog-like adornments on the drum strike surface. The strike surface is itself rather plain with a central sun motif surrounded by concentric bands. However the side of this cast bronze drum (which is over 1.5 m in diameter and some 90 cm in height) is rich in detail: some 27 different bands delineated by three ridges containing a range of circular motifs and one of lozenges similar to patterns referred variously to as pineapple twill, lozenge/diamond twill and 2-2 twill.
This link takes you to a great article on frog drums
http://www.lasieexotique.com/mag_frogdrums/mag_frogdrums.html
These links to frog drum examples on Susan Stem's Tribaltrappings website:
http://www.tribaltrappings.com/AO146.php
http://www.tribaltrappings.com/AO147.php

Attachments:
複製 -drum1.jpg
複製 -drum1.jpg [ 25.47 KiB | Viewed 6153 times ]
複製 -drum5.jpg
複製 -drum5.jpg [ 26.96 KiB | Viewed 6153 times ]
複製 -drum2.jpg
複製 -drum2.jpg [ 21.47 KiB | Viewed 6153 times ]